On Good Questions

Oh, too funny, LOL.

(eh, couldn't resist).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Oh damn.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

By definition, then, it's not a question that can be easily answered by Googling.

I try to preface my questions in such cases with "I Googled but came up with all these contradictions".

What really leaves me shamefaced is when I Google for something that ought to be easy and don't come up with anything. Then I'll get on here with "I Googled, but..." I generally include my search terms, sometimes what I'll get in response is someone's _good_ set of search terms on the subject, and then I'll be off and running.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

LOL!

Reply to
John Larkin

Whose* :-p

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Or do: it's possible the greater fluidity of thought will help bring about solutions.

Probably depends on the person though. I write impeccable English when drunk, because by the time you see the finished product, you don't have a clue how much backspacing and proofing and editing has gone on. In general, I write with large amounts of global NFB, a structural constraint which alcohol can attempt to impede, but not circumvent. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

I wrote this a long time ago,

'Answering questions is a tricky subject to practice. Not due to the difficulty of formulating or locating answers, but due to the human inability of asking the right questions; a skill that, were one to possess, would put them in the "answering" category.'

Sucks, man. If we all knew enough to answer our own questions, we wouldn't need to ask others; and it would be futile anyway, because no one would have any answers anyway. I've asked a few like that before... it happens..

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Yes. Exactly. A non-native speaker would have almost certainly gotten that one correctly.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Well, I hear it's real close to birthday time so drink up, Tim !

boB K7IQ

Reply to
boB

Had a Captain and Coke earlier ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

That's what I heard too!

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

[Snipped by Lyons]

Hello mysterious upsidedown, Using correct language and using correct grammar

*ARE* important!

Three days ago I bought a special bottle of German Hofbrauhaus beer. On the back of the bottle is a paper label that said, "This beer has a harsh aroma."

The word "harsh" has a negative, unpleasant, connotation. What they should have written was: "This beer has a strong aroma." or maybe "This beer has a powerful aroma." In any case, one wrong word, "harsh", sends the wrong message!!! Even punctuation is critical. For example, what's the difference between the following two sentences?

"Let's eat, grandpa."

and

"Let's eat grandpa."

Mr. upsidedown, set your standards high, not low.

[-Rick-]
Reply to
Rick Lyons

Absolutely. Or how about:

"Don't, stop, don't, stop!"

and

"Don't stop, don't stop!"

?
Reply to
Randy Yates

(snip)

Or the one someone actually wrote a book about:

"Eats, shoots, and leaves."

(There is a picture of a panda walking through the forest, carrying a rifle.)

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Tim Wescott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Tim

For the record, I would like to thank you for years of helpful responses to perhaps thousands of queries (including even a few of mine).

Al Clark Danville Signal

Reply to
Al Clark

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

In the book it was a joke:

gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

"Why?" asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"Well, I'm a panda," he says. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. "Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."

Eric Jacobsen Anchor Hill Communications

Eric Jacobsen

Points taken. I am one of those "leechers". Sadly so, but I must confess. Mostly, I have asked questions, but never answered questions from someone. Unfortunately, neither my know-how nor my bandwidth allow me to do so.

Not that it makes-up for being a leech - but I would like to say thanks to all those of you who make forums like these a superb resource for any engineer. And that too for free!

Heart felt thanks, Anand

Reply to
Anand P. Paralkar
[Snipped by Lyons]

Good job Anand!

[-Rick-]
Reply to
Rick Lyons

Ah, but if they're GOOD questions then they have value in themselves.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I think he shoots into the ceiling, not the other patrons. Pandas are cuddlier than that. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs