Re: what are "process industry automation" and "low voltage control"?

On 28 Aug 2003 06:35:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (tom) wrote:

production automation - might be PLC, but could be PC based or DCS. low voltage control -24V or similar, other than 120 V process industry automation -PID loops for flow, level etc.
It was Siemens that divided the automation market into four segments
"production automation - which I believe is PLC "motion control and drives - where I think the name describes the product "low voltage control - "process industry automation -"
What the article really says is that *Siemens* has divided their automation and motor business into four segments. The third category is not a separate classification that has particular meaning to the automation industry; only to Siemens and other manufacturers of motor control hardware.
Process industry automation includes an awful lot more than "PID loops for flow, level etc.". It is more an attitude to control and a scale factor. They are big, multivariable and designed for extreme high reliability and on-line servicing.
How is a DCS like the Titanic? It is big, expensive, and everybody wants it to go faster.
Walter.