PC based PLC + Machine Vision

Dear Sir,
These are the components required for my project. The machine is a semiconductor machine for QC check of chip leads.
1.Processor Control System 2.CANopen fieldbus system c/w Configuration software 3.PLC Programming Software c/w Communication cables 4.Communication cable for PLC <-> PC SCADA system 5.OPC DA Software (Windows XP compatible) 6.Digital Input 24V DC x 64 7.Digital Output 24V DC x 32 8.Power Supply, Backplane, etc.
There is also a CANopen based pneumatic system.
The QC is by camera vision. The current system is based on an analogue camera, PCI Frame Grabber (PCVISION Plus from Coreco Imaging) card and BW monitor. Although the customer wishes to retain these components, we may have to replace them due to integration and / or performance issues.
My proposal is based on PC (running WinXP Professional) based PLC system, that will integrate with the Vision System. The camera may be Camera + Frame Grabber in PCI slot, Camera + FireWire connection or Camera + Ethernet connection whichever is compatible with my proposed architecture.
Can we integrate Vision with PC based PLC? Can we build Vision routines into FBD (IEC61131-3) blocks? Will PC based PLC and Vision system's real-time requirements clash with each other?
Does anyone have any experience with a similar integration project? Any 'gotchas' to look-out for?
thanks.
--
Kuala Lumpur
MALAYSIA : UTC +08:00

Aside from the Vision system, you haven't mentioned any brands or models of equipment you plan to purchase, so the simple answer to your question is, yes, you can integrate Vision and PLC. Is it a good idea? Probably, no. Not even IT people put everything on one PC these days.
A better option would be to use *real* discrete PLCs and Vision modules and use the PC for supervision - it's less complicated to troubleshoot for starters..
Cameron:-)

PC's are subject to many different types of failure modes in a manufacturing environment. I second the other poster's comments about dedicated PLC / Vision system with the PC separate.
--
Anthony