Sensor for gas station fuel tank level

Sorry it took so long for me to reply.

The problem with capacitive type probes is that they require a grounding rod or metallic plate to work properly. Most of the underground tanks installed at service stations where I live are now fiberglas or similar composite construction. The older steel ones had the unwanted tendency to leak after a few years.

Use of a magnetic float may not be the best solution, but it's worth looking at. Custody transfer is usually a PD meter built into the fuel dispenser. Tank level is only an indication of supply availability.

Reply to
PuNx

Yes, the old string and pulley type are more often found on above ground tanks in remote oil or water battery facilities were the bottom line is dollars.

Reply to
PuNx

Well ,yes. But I wouldn't bother with all the cleaning and purging. that will cost you more than the hardware. I take the lid off, properly secure the opening, attach a proper connection AWAY from the tank, and then put the lid back. The instrument must, of course, be either explosion proof or intrinsically safe. I would prefer X-proof for a one-of application in an environment with inexperienced people.

Walter.

Reply to
Walter Driedger