[Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

I'll be delivering two presentations -- PID Without a PhD, and Basic Control Theory for Software Engineers. More details at
http://www.esconline.com/sf/index.htm .
This being the ESC, they've put the advanced class before the prerequisite -- oh well.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Just teach it in reverse and tell your students to push the material on their internal stacks and pop through later on when they get a chance. ;)
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–

Best wishes to you, Tim. I had noticed you in the preliminary program.
--
% Randy Yates % "Though you ride on the wheels of tomorrow,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % you still wander the fields of your

Basic
Why do they always have the ESC in San Francisco? I can't go there, and wouldn't if I could. The Anaheim Convention center site would be a better choice! Or even Los Vegas!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:17:46 GMT, the renowned "Clarence_A"

Restraining order?

There are branch ones all over- Boston, Chicago, Shenzhen (
http://www.speff.com/shenzhen.gif ), Mόnchen etc. I doubt they are as good as the original.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
βœ–
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote

and
Company will not pay for anything in the SF area, they say it is too expensive. They will pay in Anaheim or LV! I've even been allowed to book in Phoenix and Denver (Gun Barrel, CO). Just NOT SF!
No other explanation!
Add pictures here
βœ–

So you can't go to New York, Boston, Chicago, and any other major city? I don't find San Francisco any more expensive than any of the above, in fact I think I usually pay less in San Fran. I usually use Expedia or Hotels.com or some other discount broker, and don't stay at the conference hotels ...
--
Ron Huizen
BittWare

San Francisco is not necessarily more expensive than those other cities, if you avoid the big hotels downtown. One option is to find a hotel near CalTrain or Bart. These are the commuter rail services. You can walk from either to the convention center. I stay with family and do this several times a year. Don't rent a car, parking will kill you.
Air tickets are usually available at discount rates if you plan ahead. I pay from $200-$250 from Minneapolis.
If I wanted to go, I would predetermine hotels and travel options, and then talk to the powers that be.
--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

He's in Orange County. It's a miserly $39 each way via Southwest (Ontario <-> San Jose or Oakland) with 14 day advance purchase.

Yup. Sounds like a rather Dilbertian policy.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
βœ–
message

it is

been
NOT
major
of the

usually use

don't stay at

other cities,

hotel near

walk from

several
ahead. I

options, and

Unless a customer is paying, anything over 1,000 Miles is just not considered. Price is not the issue, it's just policy.
BTW the last time I went to SF, it was an hour and a half each way from SJ motel to the Conference, and if you drove Parking was so far away you needed a bicycle to get to the hall.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well, San Jose is about five cities away from SF, sort of like staying in NYC for a conference in Boston. There are some cheap, fun places to stay in SF out near the ocean, with just a couple of blocks of walking to the streetcar on each end. And you can walk on the beach for a break. Downtown is pretty much like any downtown, a tourist/businessman ripoff.
SF does have great, cheap food and lots of stuff to do on the side.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
Clarence_A wrote:

They're afraid you'll come back with pink hair?
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

SPIKED pink hair ;-)
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

[...]
Hey, it worked on Gwen Stefani.
--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Then, it's off to
at RED CHINA!!

Someone presented a $1,200 expense report for a one night stay: claimed it was because the hotels were so expensive. Wouldn't have anything to do with a pair of hookers? Nah....
-- Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio Consulting Engineer: Electronics; Informatics; Photonics. Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com psst.. want to buy an f-stop timer? nolindan.com/da/fstop/
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@sig.com says...

Perhaps they should just not reimburse expenses for "room service".
--
Keith

Add pictures here
βœ–
"Keith Williams" wrote

it is

stay:
service".
I suspect it was abuse by sales people that got this policy in place. Diners for four at $900, and renting a Ferrari for a week! But no one will say! Funny too, they spring for a three day weekend in SD at a nice beach side place for the entire staff with family, as a Christmas party! But travel is tight!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:39:47 +0000, Clarence_A wrote:

Your PHBs totally lost control then. We have a meal and hotel "allowance" that was foisted on us because of idiots like this. Last I checked a couple hundred a night wasn't unreasonable for a hotel room in SF (maybe $150 because of our leverage) and $60ish in food per day. It is one of the more expensive places, but there it makes no sense to arbitrarily make a city off-limits because of a few fools.

Hey, The PHBs sprung for a day off at Thanksgiving. I didn't see it as that big a deal since we're all salaried. The same work had to get done. We'll see what our bonus looks like this year. Last year I made $10K less than five years ago. I'm thinking about moving on... I've done my time.
--
Keith

Add pictures here
βœ–
"Tim Wescott" wrote

details at

the
is
NOT
That would be an improvement over the (very high) lack of forehead cover! It would go well with the rest, gray!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Clarence_A wrote:

You can, of course, read the material on my web site which covers the talks one way or another. Throwing rotten vegetables at your own computer screen is, however, much less satisfying than using them on a presenter.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services