[Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

"Tim Wescott" wrote

details at

the
<snip>
covers the

own
them on a

Read the article in the MAG. Fairly simplified and quite useful for explaining to management. However the Thermal side was very over simplified. Our app required 5 to 9 zone control of a cylindrical furnace (semiconductor processing. (LPE and CID) so the interaction and variation due to horizontal and vertical tubes were of major concern.
Fortunately, I do not do the Process Furnaces anymore, that customer was bought and the entire factory moved out. (We do system level consulting.)
Clarence_A wrote:

Yes, it was. I wanted something that didn't include an intrinsic integrator, and I didn't want to spend days on a real thermal model.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Clarence_A wrote:

If you think it's expensive to go to SF to see a conference, just try exhibiting at one...
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:47:03 -0800, the renowned Jim Stewart

Are they closed union shop like the Eastern ones? I hate having to pay those guy to do trivial stuff. Dreyage, my a**. 8-( And an electrician every time, even if the stuff just plugged in.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Exactly.
We've done both SF and San Jose and San Jose was the worst.
Even though the contents of our booth fit in the back of our Subaru wagon, we still had to go to the "marshaling yard" across town, wait in line, have the vehicle weighted, get a pickup time tag, go back to the convention center and wait to be unloaded, drive the unloaded car back to the "marshaling yard", get it weighed unloaded and get a weight ticket, which BTW was at least 200 lbs higher than the actual weight of the booth. To add injury to insult, as I was driving off the scale, a piece of metal slashed and destroyed one of my tires.
Leaving, we just waited for the security guards to kick back and then sneaked everything out the front door.
By the time we did ESC at SF, we had gotten pretty good at sneaking the stuff in past the teamsters. The trick is to have one person in the vehicle, circling the venue. Another person meets the vehicle, gets an armload of stuff and carries it inside. Repeat until done.
Jim Stewart wrote:

(Sound of teeth grinding).
I can understand the need for unions in some industries, where employers can make things impossible for the working man.
But they sure are a good example of how power corrupts.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Oh, that's what that was. I thought it was the sound of knee caps breaking.

and as such are obsolete.
--
Keith

Keith Williams wrote:
IEEE doesn't do Javits in new York, any more. They use Meadowlands in NJ instead. Too many vendors made their intentions never to return to Javits known.
Jerry

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:41:35 -0500, Jerry Avins wrote:

Good idea. I wouldn't travel to NYC, even when I lived 75mi from Javits. Of course my empoyer wouldn't pay for me to go cross town these days. Which is OK too. Travel is a PITA.
Though I do have to say that the *one* time I wished my wife were with me was on a junket to a M$ WinHEC in Moscone. I stayed in the Crown Plaza uptown SF. I looed out of my room down onto the head-end of the cable cars. That week alone would have bought me a lifetime of get-out-of-jail-free cards. ;-) ...andd I would have only paid a pittance for her!
BTW, WinHECs are crap. 6000+ windows geeks clammoring to get a peak at BillG was just a bit too much for this stomach. At least Intel put on programs with some meat.
--
Keith

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

... snip ...

Isn't it amazing the accidental nightime damage that can occur as a result of supplying your own ashtrays (back when smoking was good) or anything else.
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:59:15 GMT, the renowned CBFalconer

Jacob Javits Center? I've never done that venue, but I've heard stories.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Years ago I was setting up an exhibit in Brooks Hall, the old SF WESCON venue. I got knocked on my ass from a union-electrician-supplied power pigtail that had hot and ground interchanged.
So yeah, better let the people in charge do the work for you...

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:29:48 -0500, Spehro Pefhany

I did a trade show booth in downtown San Francisco once; never again. There were union goons everywhere, stopping people from carrying anything and posting violation notices on booths if people were plugging in or even using their own lights. On my way out, a huge guy stood in my way and blocked me from leaving with some stuff on a dolly. False imprisonment, seems to me. Another guy off to the side said "are you a guest in the hotel?" I thought for a second and said "Yes" which meant they had to let me take the stuff up to my "room" (ie, a taxicab). The big guy was pissed.
Just after that we did a show in Albuquerque. We shipped the gear to my rep, and he drove it in his pickup truck onto the floor of the exhibit hall, right up to the booth. That was great.
Lately, I'm thinking trade shows aren't worth the hassle, at least as a presenter. Even print ads are dicey. Google gets us most of our business (we think.)
John
Clarence_A wrote:

When a conference was over in '93 I had my daughter come to SF and we stayed a few extra days. The concierge at the conference hotel recommended a place that was across the street from the old US Mint museum.
The cost differential was astonishing. The second place seemed to cater to European tourist groups. It was a moderately old building (quaint) but it worked out just great for us. Good but inexpensive on-site restaurant, within a few blocks of the big conference hotels.
Perhaps someone in the area knows the name, if it is still open, other basic recon.
One heads up though. A few of the other places that seemed to offer low cost accomodations appeared to cater to men only.
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:35:50 -0600, Aubrey McIntosh

I like to send people here:
http://www.hotelres.com/hoteltop.php?siteidG&hnum67
around $60,
or
http://www.sealrockinn.com /
about $140 for an ocean-view suite with a fireplace.
John
"John Larkin" wrote

is
been
NOT
and we

Mint museum.

to cater

(quaint)
on-site
open, other

offer low

I'll try this one. Maybe I 'can' go if I can prove it isn't as expensive as they think.

It's clean but funky, like some small mom-and-pop motel you'd find in a small town somewhere. There's a streetcar stop just in front, which will take you downtown in a straight, but not too speedy, shot. It's just 2 blocks from the ocean, and just behind the Sloat Garden Center and a block from the famous Doggie Diner.
http://mistersf.com/new/index.html?newdoggie.htm
Call me if you feel like a beer.
John
wrote in message
wrote:

it
even
CO).
SF
hotel
US
seemed
building
hotels.
find in

which
It's
Center
might do that if I get to go. Just heard we are starting a new contract for design of a system for a major new client. So it is going to be up in the air for a bit.
Thanks again. A "Samuel Adams" would go down nicely! Clarence

Allows most of Silicon Valley to attend... The silicon valleys in southern california, prefer to stay at the beach :-)
--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson snipped-for-privacy@a-t-m-e-l.com

the beach :-)
Actually Silicon Valley is in north central California, (Bay area) and that is 357 miles north of the Irvine, CA company I work for. (Abt 600KM)
You going to the ESC?