Using ADAM-4571L without driver?

The 4571L is an Advantech RS232 to ethernet converter supplied with a
Virtual COM port driver. I stuck one of these on an installation for
remote access to a device with an ASCII protocol. Unfortunately some
bright spark on the device side decided to include mS inter character
timeouts, and using this device over a busy system command strings
often get terminated premeturaly as data sent out over the virtual COM
port is not necessarily recieved/re-sent as a single block of data.
As the device is accessed form custom software, I wondered if there is
any way of using this device in raw mode, e.g. sending discrete UDP
packets to the device or using extended controls by accessing the
device directly using it's native protocol.
Anybody had any experience with doing this? Anybody know the protocol
used to access the device?
Reply to
Roger