Water Level Sensor

I am building a cheap water level sensor for hydro-test purposes, using a piezo buzzer and a 9 volt battery, wit the circuit completion done by
water shorting out the bare wires. The buzzer is loud enough on the 9 volts, but the resistance of the water does not give me onough power to hear it very well. What voltage ( DC ) should I use? or is it an amperage problem ? Any help would be appreciated.
Adding a transistor or FET amplifier / switch stage should work and still remain simple.

You are trying to use the sensor to drive the end device. You need to have an amplifier in between. A very simple transistor circuit will do the trick. Do NOT try to fix this problem by boosting voltage. Sooner or later somebody is going to get hurt.
Walter.

A simple way is to put your bare wires on the jaws of a clothespin, with an aspirin in between. Water hits, aspirin melts, clothespin closes, circuit is made.

TimR wrote:

That is brilliant. The true meaning of K.I.S.S.
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:33:11 GMT, the renowned Cosmopolite

Popular Mechanics or Popular Science ca. 196x... nice trick.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

I did not mean to claim it was an original idea. If I had any idea where I read it, I would be glad to give credit where due, but I just can't remember.