What is Axis Control

I know this is a newbie question.
But, where can I find information on Axis Control both single and multi.
I am looking for some documents / site which will explain to me the
basics of Axis Control ground up along with application details preferably.
Additionally, usage of a Digital Signal Processor, if any, for the same.
Ajay wrote:

You're confused about context. When you hear about "single axis control" or "multi-axis control" it's a description of the number of degrees of freedom that are being controlled -- so a single axis controller is moving one thing in one direction, a two-axis controller is moving one thing in two directions, etc. An NC milling machine could conceivably have six axis control -- three linear axes and three rotational ones.
The keyword that you probably want is "motion control". I have some material on my website; you should also do a web search on the term.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Of course he is confused. Posting via google from an indian IP address did you expect any sense?
Usenet will continue to be abused by google posters treating it as a natural language search engine for as long as there are enough mugs reading usenet to do the natural language interpretation.
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 12:11:41 +0000, nospam wrote:

Good eye!

Help me out here. Specifically, what is the abuse? Are you saying the OP took "axis control" literally?
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Usenet functions because people read it, they join in discussions and answer questions when they are able (and inclined).
Google is not condusive to reading usenet, it is condusive to posting questions and only reading responses. I believe google will even email you when when someone responds ffs.
If everyone used usenet in this manner it would become a wasteland of unanswered questions, those that do are IMO abusing usenet.
Such abuse is common among those accessing usenet via google (in the technical groups I read anyway). Use google to check the posting history of some of these people and you will find many have never posted outside threads which they created with a question (often a very dumb question).
nospam wrote:

address did

reading
Well, you haven't answered the question I posted. I am new to this and Google Groups is a way I can get many questions answered.
And I don't see why you should have a problem with Indian posters. Please take your fight against google and indians to some other thread and let someone who actually wants to help me answer. Thanks for understanding,
Ajay
Ajay wrote:

Ajay:
I agree with you on this. I had a tart little rejoinder prepared for mr. "nospam", but decided that more negativity wasn't needed.
As for using newsgroups there are articles out there on how to use USENET in the way it's intended -- by connecting with a newsreader and browsing. It's an easy process if your ISP supports newsgroups, and according to folks who use both methods it's way better than Google Groups. I find that I can often answer my questions just by reading other threads or by adding my queries to them where appropriate. I also see questions I never thought to ask, and I get the opportunity to answer a few questions.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Ajay wrote:

http://www.yaskawa.com/site/products.nsf/productGroup/ServoSystemsAndMotionControllers.html
That site shows several product lines. If you can't tell them apart, you will need a lot of help to design things similar to them.
The carriage on a lathe, as it is moved along the ways by the lead screw, is a single-axis system. The cross slide on the carriage, at right angles to the ways, is a second axis; both axes described so far are linear. The spindle in the headstock rotates, that's a third axis. The compound rest that rides on the cross slide can be replaced by another linear motion, perpendicular to both the bed and cross-slide ways, called a milling attachment. That is a third linear axis. Each of those axes of motion can be, but needn't be, put under servo control.
I hope that helps you to understand the task better.
Jerry

Jerry Avins wrote:

you
far
axis.
of
get.

Thanks, that indeed explains it very well :)

Just for a basic description of how it works in a rudementary manner: You have 4 basic elements to a 'closed loop' control system, an actuator [can be a motor, hydraulic ram, pneumatic cylinder, etc]), a feedback device (encoder, resolver, etc), a drive and a controller (can be one and the same). The controller commands a movement of the actuator to the drive. The drive moves the actuator, the feedback device reports on the actual movement, the drive/controller determines whether the movement was accurate, among other things, and adjusts the command to the drive based on that feedback. In 'Open Loop' control, you have a controller/drive, and an actuator. There is no feedback device. The controller gives a command, the drive moves the actuator that amount, end of sequence.
Check out the Siemens website, and Siemens docsonline.
--
Anthony