Remote Data Collection and Instrument Control

I am working on an application using an instrument that makes a measurement every 10 minutes and provides the output in the form of a 4-20 ma signal.
(the measurement value is held until updated 10 minutes later.) We want the ability to transmit this data to a central site using some kind of wireless communication. Are there any off the shelf systems available designed to accomplish that as opposed to me trying to integrate the various wireless and A/D conversion components? I realize distance is a critical factor so assume in one case we're talking up to 1000' and in another case, several miles, both situations outdoors. It would also be nice if we could potentially transmit data from sensors detecting temperature and wind parameters and possibly control of devices in the remote station. Any good unbiased websites where an engineer like me who is not expert in digital and wireless technology could get up to speed in this area? TIA.
You might take a look at http://www.bb-elec.com/ and http://www.maxstream.net /
They offer both the 100mW and 1W Maxstream 900 MHz radios. We use the 100 mW Maxstream OEM modules in several of our own and customers products. We have gotten close to 4 miles when using good yagi antennas.
We make a master/slave system that we use to send pressures and switch conditions one direction control signals back - between oil wells and the tank battery.
Since these were designed for specific customers, our published documentation is a little on the light side. If you are interested you'll find it under the documents link on our web site.
www.rogue-engr.com
Mark Walsh

measurement
the
wireless
and
I suspect there are many. You could check out the manufacturer OMNEX. How does this float your boat...
<http://www.omnexcontrols.com/Products/Wireless_IO/
Talk to someone at a place where they manufacture control panels, or a big electrical equipment distributor, or an electrical contractor who has done work in sectors such as oil, water, etc. where you would think there's a demand for that kind of thing.
Distance may be less critical than line of sight and other factors. I understand that radio comm can be quite tough where there is lots of iron in the ground, signals just don't make it that far.
This may find you somebody who can get you up to speed, I don't know of a website that would do it. If you find something, post it back here.
Check out this system: https://www.smar.com/products/smct302.asp Flvio
Thanks to all for some good leads!