What groups am I looking for if(see message)

Below is the post I made to alt.rec.crafts.metalworking yesterday before I found this group. My question still stands so I have
attempted to cross post to both but since I have never cross posted before not sure if I did this right.
Hi I have google some but I do not seem to come up with very many groups concerning metal working( i.e. casting, forges, mills, lathes etc). What groups should I be reading. I am trying to learn enough to make a metal shop mainly for my use. I really don't want to spend 35 thousand for each machine but then neither do I want only very small units like the Sherline. I actually have a small lathe and a small mill now. I have a few good books but I also want some thoughts from people who works in the field(in particular who not to buy). I been interested for a few years but was put off by a person work as a machinist who told me I would never get anything that was useful with out spending a few hundred thousand dollars. The more I have read the more I have become convinced that is not true. I believe now that precision is as much a function of the person and techniques as of machines. Being a math major chemistry minor, high computer skills(both hardware and software), usually good common sense, and doing maintenance (electronics ) in the television field probably should help too. Sorry to take so long but I feel that by expounding a little that better advice can be given. Thanks

What are you wanting to get, and how much have you got to spend?
Try MACHINIST'S WORKSHOP and The Home Shop Machinist [800-447-7367], also Lindsay Publications [Google because I can't find my latest catalog]. Jack Morse