which newsgroups are best for metall

Hi I have google some but I do not seem to come up with very many groups concerning metal working( i.e. casting, forges, mills, lathes etc). What groups should I be reading. I am trying to learn enough to make a metal shop mainly for my use. I really don't want to spend 35 thousand for each machine but then neither do I want only very small units like the Sherline. I actually have a small lathe and a small mill now. I have a few good books but I also want some thoughts from people who works in the field(in particular who not to buy). I been interested for a few years but was put off by a person work as a machinist who told me I would never get anything that was useful with out spending a few hundred thousand dollars. The more I have read the more I have become convinced that is not true. I believe now that precision is as much a function of the person and techniques as of machines. Being a math major chemistry minor, high computer skills(both hardware and software), usually good common sense, and doing maintenance (electronics ) in the television field probably should help too. Sorry to take so long but I feel that by expounding a little that better advice can be given. Thanks

Reply to
spamkill

This is a great group.

Also try >>>

The CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO was started at the NAMES (North American Model & Engineering Socirty) in Wyandotte Michigan. It has much useful information regarding CNC machining on a budget (i.e. add some Geckos and a control to your mill for a couple hundred $$$).

Or come on down to the Names (or one of the Pacific Rim shows) and get all the metal working gear you want used and cheap.

NAMES is fantastic for getting metal, cutters, tooling, etc ... not to mention seeing the beautiful stuff these guys have engineered (working v-8 engines - deck guns/ gantling guns, steam engines, radial engines, clocks, etc ..) However you want to get their early to find the best stuff (smile). i got an atlas lathe and mill there both for a couple hundred each, and someone was even nice enough to scrpae my lathe bed for a demo.

I also joined the local Detroit metalworking club and made quite a few friends. Even went over to visit a homemade foundry to do some pouring.

Reply to
Not Here