100V appliance on 110v power supply

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis"

** Cut out the top posting - f*****ad !!!

** Except that is it actually a 20 volt ( 20% ) overvoltage - easily creating a 200 to 300% over current.

So called "110 volt" stepdown transformers are, in reality, rated to deliver

120 volts from a 240 volt input.
** More irrelevant s**te - mate.

Blokes with you sort of name run hamburger round shops where I live.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Big, heavy-duty industrial and switchgear equipment is designed for these kinds of volage variations because it is not uncommon to have to accomodate them. This is the case practically everywhere, it is not limited even to the EU normalization across Europe.

OTOH, consumer equipment designers have a much narower expectation for mains supply voltages. Furthermore, they are under orders to make their designs as economical as possible which may further limit its ability to gracefully accept a wider supply voltagfe.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 03:25:49 +0000 (UTC) Michael Moroney wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net writes: | |>| or generally by Japanese manufacturers (some excepts will exist). This |>| is due to the fact that Japan is split in half with respect to frequency. |>| The eastern part is 60 Hz while the western part is 50 Hz. | |>Actually, I got that reversed. The east is 50 Hz while the west is 60 Hz. | | How did Japan wind up that way (two different frequencies)? Are the | two grids interconnected in any way?

I don't know the history of how it got that way. I do know there is both American and European influence on some modern standards in Japan. They use the same plugs as the US, but they drive on the left side of the road as in UK.

The grids are interconnected:

phil-news-nospam

Sorry., you were right., good thing you caught me hovering over the drift};-) I've been up tooo many hrs. doing hard & soft work & plans for my HS Buds Reunion and a trip abroad this season.

Meds would finish cut off right now. Roy

I still think you are sounding just like Tom :-)=AE

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

As you've probably noticed by now, there's lots of noise on USENET.

If you can get a UK/100V transformer, do that, unless the AKAI is switch- or jumper-selectable for different mains - I noticed that the manual does mention UK wiring, but it was about taking care that it's earthed properly and that hot and neutral are wired properly - this suggests to me that there is either a jumper plug, a switch, or a terminal board to select mains voltage. If so, then clearly this is the way to go.

If there isn't a switch or jumper plug on the back panel, and you're not afraid to open up the case, take a look. It might be glaringly obvious what you need to do, but if you see no options whatever, then use the transformer. If it looks like there are options for different solder connections, you might be able to figure it out, if you're handy with a soldering iron. If you aren't confident of your electronics skills, the wisest course of action (unless you can get a proper 240/100V transformer for less than, say, UKP35-50) your safest option is to take it to a qualified service person - they could do the switchover in a matter of minutes, if it can be switched over. Failing that, the transformer is the only option.

I'm hesitant to recommend a buck arrangement, unless you're confident that you know what you're doing, but if it isn't switchable, and you already have the 110V transformer, then this would be the cheapest.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise