240v -vs- 120v equipment wiring?

| It figures that a CS won't know how to use a simple piece of | software. I already know how to filter out idiots, but I was hoping you | were willing to learn rather than mouth off without doing any research.

I haven't needed to know how to filter out idiots ... yet. Seems that the time has now come. I will find out what I need to know, if I decide to finally do it.

| Tell me, Phil, are you really wanting to learn, or just display your bad | attitude?

Follow the thread again. TWO people responded to your incorrect assumption about what "240 volts" means. Neither of those responses deviated from simply covering technical issues. Either you cannot comprehend that concept, or you realized your mistake but just couldn't handle the fact that someone with a CS background "got it" where you and your EE background missed it, YOU, in message , started up with attitude.

There are many things I don't know, and I will still learn. Learning is what life is about; it's what makes it worth waking up every morning. Fortunately, not everyone here has your attitude problem. There are a couple others with some problems, but right now you top them all.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

You snipped the part where I asked if you had looked up the specs on the gen head. You didn't answer the other questions I asked, so its obvious that you have made up your mind and the truth will not change your mind. So, to save you the trouble I put you in the bit bucket. You are the only one that I have had to kill file for this group. Just remember that the more people who kill file you, the less likely you are to get any replies to your flaky ideas.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

| You snipped the part where I asked if you had looked up the specs on | the gen head.

It's not my job to look them up. I've looked up many things. Some things are easy to find and some are very difficult. For things that I personally need, I'm more motivated to work harder to find things. For something someone else needs, I don't generally have the motivation for all that work. I (or someone) can ask them first. Maybe they do know what they really have. It's worth waiting for that query/answer cycle than to jump into a search that might possibly take a while. It can be done later if really needed.

| You didn't answer the other questions I asked, so its | obvious that you have made up your mind and the truth will not change | your mind.

The truth is there are several different configurations which can have

240 volts, and more than one of those can be rewired to 120 volts without the 240 volt setup necessarily providing 120 volts at the same time.

If you assume, when someone says it is wired for 240 volts, that there is also 120 volts, that can be excused as you never having had experience enough to encounter them. It's an opportunity for you to learn something new. But to cop an attitude instead of taking that opportunity to learn, that's the problem you have.

| So, to save you the trouble I put you in the bit bucket.

I won't be losing anything because it seems you are not the kind of person to make technical contributions when I might need them. And I will be gaining because I won't have to deal with your anti-social attitudes any longer.

| You are the only one that I have had to kill file for this group. Just | remember that the more people who kill file you, the less likely you are | to get any replies to your flaky ideas.

I don't need _your_ replies, or the replies of people like you. They are of no value.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Oh Come On Now ! Play Nice ~ or be erred twice

All this fuss from a Gen Head he probably got from

it's all there clearly on the Specs & Instructions., He only has 3 Options, 2 which he don't meet his needs., what does that leave him with., Personally I don't know why He (the OP) even asked us here. =AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Roy,

Lets start by by saying "why he (the OP) asked us here", because I am not an electrical wizard, I'm asking because I had a valid reason to know what is the best way to hook this genset up since this is my first attempt at doing such a project. I guess this group exists for no other then to bitch and complain about how some people are stupid for asking about a subject they dont understand so clearly.

The genhead is NOT from Harbourfreight, but yes, it is a from China, where most stuff originates from. It's a 1800 rpm, 4 pole dual slip ring

120/240v.

I wanted to know how to connect it, either 120v or 240v based on tools that can be hooked up either way. Thats not to complicated now, is it?

thanks for all those that replied, with the exception of a few.

(the OP)

Reply to
SomeBody

| Lets start by by saying "why he (the OP) asked us here", because I am not | an electrical wizard, I'm asking because I had a valid reason to know what | is the best way to hook this genset up since this is my first attempt at | doing such a project. I guess this group exists for no other then to bitch | and complain about how some people are stupid for asking about a subject | they dont understand so clearly.

It does seem at times, at least from a few people, that the attitude is if you don't know the subject, you shouldn't be asking here, and if you do knoww the subject, you don't need to ask.

I think it was a valid question to ask if there was a neutral. A simple answer could have netted a better answer to the original question. It is unfortunate that someone makes an assumption that, while matching your case, could not have validly been assumed until more information was available (either from you or from the specs).

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

It would have been a lot quieter if you had posted this link to start with, because it shows that it can be connected with the center tap. ;-)

That way you can use 120 or 240 volt tools with it. I would add a small breaker box and connect a combination of 120 and 240 VAC outlets so you are ready, no matter what you need. The third schematic shows what you need. I would connect the heavier tools for 240 VAC, but its still handy to have 120 VAC for hand tools and work lights.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply below~>

From: snipped-for-privacy@Someplace.org (SomeBody) On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 02:37:54 -0400, Roy Q.T. wrote: Oh Come On Now ! Play Nice ~ or be erred twice All this fuss from a Gen Head he probably got from

it's all there clearly on the Specs & Instructions., He only has 3 Options, 2 which he don't meet his needs., what does that leave him with., Personally I don't know why He (the OP) even asked us here. =AEoy Roy, Lets start by by saying "why he (the OP) asked us here", because I am not an electrical wizard, I'm asking because I had a valid reason to know what is the best way to hook this genset up since this is my first attempt at doing such a project. I guess this group exists for no other then to bitch and complain about how some people are stupid for asking about a subject they dont understand so clearly. The genhead is NOT from Harbourfreight, but yes, it is a from China, where most stuff originates from. It's a 1800 rpm, 4 pole dual slip ring

120/240v.
I wanted to know how to connect it, either 120v or 240v based on tools that can be hooked up either way. Thats not to complicated now, is it? thanks for all those that replied, with the exception of a few. (the OP)

Nobody said you were stupid, i thought you were too smart to ask without having a clue as to what you are doing., I understand your concern, One False Move and your Gen from China goes Kablooee.

I really don't think you have a choice though, you have to go with the Dual Voltage Mode & hope for the best concerning your Distribution and Equipment Usage.

Oh & Your Right: Everyone likes to bicker bitch & complain or just plain get on someones case here every now & then, it's probably they only place were one can go back & see how much of a nuisance & a har har one is after the fact };-) it helps build character the easy way, by reading yons own mistakes and working on them.

Trusting you got Sound & Professional Advice here....... =AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.