Buying a 10 year old MIG Machine

Going tomorrow to look at a 10 year old Lincoln Machine (I think Lincoln). Guy says he bought it at Canadian Tire 10 years ago for 700.00 bux? Does this sound right? Anyway, guy says he only used it like 5 times cause he hurt his back shortly after buying the machine and has been out of work ever since on disability. The guy wants 350.00 for it? He said it was a 110 volt, 100 or 120 amp, has extra Full Wheel of .030 wire (paid 100 bux for).

Am I getting ripped or should I offer lower? It's a 10 year old machine!!! Ohh yeah, I'm a 1st year apprentice welder, so this would be a good machine for me to start with. I already have a 70 amp Arc Machine.

Thanks.

Reply to
Lucifer

would figure that one 110VAC input machine to be enough...

Reply to
dogalone

disability.

Man that's a lot of money for a 110V MIG. What's the model number? As for the wire, I know things are sometimes a little more expensive in the great white north, but even flux core wire normally doesn't cost much over $30 at the most expensive places, unless it's something really exotic like Stainless flux core. It's probably a Lincoln Weld Pac 100 or 120 and they are OK but they only cost around $300-$350 new at the most ten years ago IIRC. I have one that I use just for steel, running CO2 gas. It does all right, but I use my bigger MIG with argon or my TIG, for welding anything else. I hardly ever use a arc welder unless I am just hacking at some really rusty, dirty, oily, or painted metal.

Reply to
Diamond Jim

Sounds like a lot of money to me.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Sounds smelly to me. A 220 machine would not have been a lot more than that.

For a ten year old machine with bottle, regulator, and all thrown in, I would give no more than $200. You can get a new one for a little more than he wants for this ten year old machine.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

$200 US wont even buy a roller kit for my 400 amp esab migs.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Can't tell. Find the exact make & model, is tank included, and get back to us.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Get the model and look here to see what it may be worth.

least you can find out what the new price is. Also, he claims he paid $100 for a roll of wire? I smell something fishy! $350 Canadian is the very high end of what I would pay if it is pristine condition. If it looks used value goes down accordingly. If it is all beat up, walk away. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Whoops.. I meant ot say that I sold my one year old SP135+ for a about #350 US. With wire and an aluminum kit... The price for a seven year old machine seems steep.

Peter

Peter Grey

I paid $125 CDN for an older Weld Pack 100 Lincoln that looked pretty rough. It came with the gas kit, but no tank. Spent another $60 on it for rollers and new liners, and a full complement of new ball bearings for the feeder mechanism (same bearings as used on roller blade wheels). While I was at he dealer, he said that they still had the service manuals for the older machines, so now I have the circuit diagrams and troubleshooting info as well. I am running flux core for the little bit I use the welder, and it serves well.

$700 seems more in line with a new price for a 220v machine ten years ago. $100 for a spool of wire! It had better weigh more than the welder for that kind of money. The small spools of plain wire are about $10 or a bit less, and the flux core is about twice that.

For an appretice welder, I would suggest that you keep looking until you find a decent AC/DC stick machine that you can run off a dryer plug or stove plug.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

OK what's your point? Or are you just showing off? The only things in common between your 400 amp esab migs and the one we are discussing is that they are both MIG welders and use electricity.

Reply to
Diamond Jim

I recently paid $550 for a Millermatic 250 with an M-sized C25 (25% CO2, 75% argon) tank. $350 for a little 110v machine sounds nuts to me. But I know some guys use those for welding sheet metal a lot.

GWE

Trevor J> Lucifer wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

And have rollers.

steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Oops..forgot to mention the welders themselves were $100.00 at auction.

And now here's something for the OP :

PrecisionMachinisT

Must be everyone else at the auction knew the price of the parts for the things;D

Reply to
JohnM

No Shit !!!--(but they make excellent stick-welders as is)...

I was just giving some points of reference is all....

Prices seem to be all across the board--with used gear, mostly it depends on how much someone is willing to pay for it on a whim, balanced against what someone else will accept for it when they're currently in distress.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Sure 'nuff. That's a cheap enough stick welder..

Heh.. hate it when I need something and I can tell the bastard that has it can tell I need it..

I figure I've bought my one new welder for this lifetime, the rest are used and I don't mind it a bit. I'd like to try one of those Esabs you've got, seems Earnie spoke highly of them. I'm all in favor of buying used equipment, let the big guy who can't realistically keep and maintain it get his use and then I'll take it for as long as I can keep it alive, hopefully that'll be as long as I can totter around and use it..

John

Reply to
JohnM

Depends on local availability too. I do some wood dorking. Around here used wood working tools bring damn near new price. Seems strange when we have a few good suppliers of tools, plus the large chain store home centers too.

I have not shopped used metal working tools, but I see little for sale in the local paper, plus I have people offer to buy my stuff all the time! (I am not selling!) Greg

Reply to
Greg O

If the welder is one of the original SP-100 models it is the equivalent of the current SP-135. Check the service manuals on the Lincoln Electric website. They will help you identify the welder.

The original SP-100 is a solid 110v MIG with a good duty cycle for this type of welder. It's possible that the build quality is a bit better than the SP-135 but I haven't checked.

The price is a little high but only a little. If it has really only been used 5 time in 10 years it should look brand new.

I wouldn't challenge the seller on the price of the welder but I would ask him if he would sell it without the $100C roll of wire. In fact, .030" hard wire isn't very useful, generally, in this welder. You would be better off with .023".

Obviously, I'm pretty happy with my SP-100, which dates from around

1990.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to