6mm Core getting hot

Hi,

The 6MM core running from may shower to fuse box is getting hot and smelling pretty bad when I shower.

The cable has been installed since I moved in over 10 years ago.

I replaced the shower which was 8.5 KW so I assume that the 6MM was fine and didn't need replacing.

I assume the cable has been installed over 15 years ago.

Could this be the age of the cable or simply the shower when turned up causing this.

I have a 30amp fuse in the distribution box.

any help appreciated.

Regards Patty

Reply to
Patty

Can't help, but it will help others to know you are in the UK !

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

Hi,

yes I'm in the UK,

Many thanks

patty

Reply to
Patty

First thing, stop using it immediately. Probably you have a bad connection, or a bad isolating switch contact, or both (one frequently leads to the other). This could start a fire.

6mm cable is good for something between 35A and 47A, depending how the cable is routed, and assuming it's not routed through any areas above 30C ambient, and is not too long a run.

If the cable has been running at or above maximum capacity in a warm location, then its life could be as little as 15-20 years. The cable terminations are a common place where it may have been running well above temperature, and wrecked the cable.

In which case circuit is designed for a 7.2kW shower, and someone's fitted a more powerful one at some point without regard to the circuit design.

If it's a 30A rewirable fuse, then you now have to derate the cable by 0.725 which makes its current carrying capacity 25A to 34A, which makes it barely suitable for an 8.5kW even in the most optimistic case of surface clipped cable in an area not exceeding

30C.

You would have to describe in much more detail exactly how the wire is routed along its entire length in order to tell you what its safe current rating is. However, this is rather academic now it's started buring out, as it will need to be replaced, so you can fit a 10mm² cable instead. You must replace any accessories which have been subject to excess heating too, which might include the isolating switch, parts of the fuse box, ans possibly the shower itself. You also need to make sure earthing is up to current standards, the supply is up to the load, and you fit an appropriate fuse for the circuit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think you should have an electrician look at it.

Reply to
Nipple Vice

sometimes old connections become oxidized. this makes a high resistance at the connection which become hot when current passes through it. if you can do it safely, tighten the wires screw terminal at the fuse panel.

if you are not familiar with electrical safety procedures you should call someone who is to do this.

Reply to
TimPerry

|> The 6MM core running from may shower to fuse box is getting hot and |> smelling pretty bad when I shower. |>

|> The cable has been installed since I moved in over 10 years ago. |>

|> I replaced the shower which was 8.5 KW so I assume that the 6MM was |> fine and didn't need replacing. |>

|> I assume the cable has been installed over 15 years ago. |>

|> Could this be the age of the cable or simply the shower when turned up |> causing this. |>

|> I have a 30amp fuse in the distribution box. |>

|> any help appreciated. |>

|> Regards |> Patty |>

| | I think you should have an electrician look at it.

I think the electrician should do more than just look at it.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam