A.C. Compressor surge effect on computer?

I was hoping somebody may be able to give me a little bit of information on how big a risk I run with my Air Conditioner on the same circuit as my computer. While the Air Conditioner and computer are plugged in in seperate rooms, it seems obviously to be on the same circuit. I haven't pulled fuses to map my circuits in the house, but since the two bedrooms seem to be on the same circuit, I'm assuming the only other room (a bathroom) is on this circuit too. I may be wrong of course.

My computer is plugged into a Belkin 550 VA 300 W Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). It is detailed on the following computer retailer catalog page:

.

Often when the compressor stops, a solenoid in my UPS clicks. So the UPS is acting as a power conditioner I would imagine. I'm wondering what the risk is - whether the UPS will fail from this semifrequent cycling (5-20 times daily) and cause my computer to abruptly lose power. A friend said that I might lessen the effect of air conditioner power surge by adding an extension cord between the air conditioner and the receptacle. It seems to have helped. I didn't have an extension cord rated high enough so I used an extra surge protector that wasn't in use.

Should I worry, and if so, how much? Is there anything I can do short of running electrical conduit from a first floor circuit to my second floor to put the air conditioner and computer on seperate circuits?

Thank you for your time.

Reply to
Jeff G

The UPS is likely responding to the voltage rise when the AC shuts off. It is returning to normal charging mode.

The extnsion cord idea has to be the dumbest thing that I have ever heard.

The surge supressor is a good idea, it is attenuat>I was hoping somebody may be able to give me a little bit of information

Reply to
me

.

Adding resistance to the circuit is just raising the threshold for the UPS. Just how did you measure the benifit? Oh I know the soliniod quit clicking..

I am guessing from the size and price of the unit. Most smaller UPS's under

1.5kva are passive. In other words the batteries are being charged but your running on utility power. Active UPS's are by nature charging and discharging the batteries constantly. No need for a solenoid. (keeping the explanation simple)

Thinking that something for $50 is a power conditioner is false. The unit says it has MOV's but only 700 joules.

You could run like this for years. If something ever happens to the a/c there would be a greater chance of a surge that could damage the computer. Motors are pretty slow by surge standards. The MOV's would probably take care of the problem.

Did you know that MOV's are tested by UL standards once... not twice, once. They are a good idea but there is no practical way to test them to see if they are really working.

Trace the circuits, know what your plugged into forget the extension cord put the a/c or computer on it own circuit.

Reply to
SQLit