My Computer Crashed & Burned

To The One or Two People That Might Be Interested:
    Last Sunday my computer bit the dust. It was only roughly 3 years
old. I'm wondering if computers are designed like light bulbs with a planned short life expectancy just so companies can sell more computers.     I went and bought a new one at Best Buy for $379, figuring that I could transfer my hard-drive to the computer with new guts. The shocker is/was that I found out that hard-drives which have been interchangeable, like for decades, have changed their connectors (or at least the one I got had different connectors). I suppose I could have looked around for some adapters, but I didn't bother to try.     I just went and got a $34.00 power supply and put it in the computer that had died, and resurrected it. Returned the new one, and got my money back.
    On a side note; I played with the new computer before taking it back, and I found out that I don't like some of the things that the Vista operating system does very much. Every time you go to make a change of any sort a pop-up window comes up and asks you if you REALLY want to make that change. That gets old FAST. Also, the system is pushing Yahoo for searching, it's like a permanent installation on your task bar. The pastel colors kind of wash out the viewing contrast.
    Anyway, I'm back to internetting again. From the withdrawals I was going through, I would equate computer use to an addiction, or at the least, an habituation. <g>
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

What part of it "bit the dust"? The power supply? The hard drive?

Hard drives might be. I've lost 2 over the last ten years or so.

You mean hard drives are no longer EIDE and are now SATA? It's not just the connector that's different it's the speed in which the hard drive moves data that's different.

So it's only your power supply that died.

Suggest you get Norton Ghost and mirror your hard drive to a new larger SATA hard drive. It's easy to use and it's cheap insurance. Ghost mirroring works in Windows and takes no skill.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
BottleBob wrote:

I feel your pain BB. In the past month my wife's computer died, my old server died, and earlier this week my workstation at work bit the big one.
How long they last probably has more to do with luck than anything else. My wife's computer and the box at the shop were both less than three years old yet my old server was in service for roughly 11 years.
On the other hand, maybe it has something to do with lunar flares, moon spots and the phase of the sun?
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

A toast to the kisses you've snatched and vice-versa.

I've had a rash of issues lately myself. I've got to order a new MB for the server :/. Would have already had it...but this is a 5 week pay month...so no extra cash. Those SO suck.
--
Anthony

Anthony wrote:

Heads up. Recall my post a few weeks ago about my bad luck with ASUS mobos? My machine at work that croaked this week was built on an ASUS board. An ASUS A8N w/Athlon64 FX55 processor. On board SATA controller gave up and it had a bad stick of ram in it. I didn't complain too loudly though, I'm getting a shiney new Core 2 Duo out of the deal. :)
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

Q: What's buried in Grant's tomb?

That's why I buy Gigabyte, but I used to buy epox damn they were good.

mobos?
We lost about 4 of these a few years back all within about a 6 mo time span and were just outside of warranty :
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=k7s5a+capacitor&btnG=Search

Damn BD, now you have me worried, that is what is in THIS machine.
--
Anthony

Check the capacitors, since they went cheap only made to last a few yrs at most (all mother boards did this) Not that they knew this but lowest price rules. Look on the top to see if they are puffed up. I have an old 7 year Epox board that is that way (extra of 3 puters) & the caps are that way. Gigabyte has boards that have metal capacitors (Don't know if this helps or hides).

They puff up and or leak shit out of the x shaped relief area ontop the dielectric finally drying out completely shorting the capacitor which cooks the diodes which IIRC are generally associated with your -5vdc buss.
http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/failed-chhsi-capacitors-small.j pg

Black Dragon wrote:

BD, A computer's age is 7x, just like dog years.
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming

===========I don't think so -- it appears that the components just have been "value analyzed" to the point that they just crap out.

"new and improved" or at least cost reduced..... EIDE and SATA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/ide_eide_qa.htm http://www.wdc.com/en/products/resources/DriveCompatibilityguide.asp

http://www.xpcgear.com/ide2sata.html [I have never used -- anyone know how well/long they work? One time for data transfer or long-term?

Good to see you back -- we missed you.
=========Check out the Ubuntu linux operating system. You can install along side the windows system to see how you like it and so you can run the window programs. They also make a windows emulator to run windows programs on linux.
Free download. You can burn what they call a live-cd to test drive w/o installing. http://www.ubuntu.com /
most likely you will want to install the desktop eddition of gutsy gibbon 7.10
Ubuntu omes with tons of free software, and there is a bunch more available for just the download. http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy / (and this is just the Ubuntu site -- lots more out there)
You may want to add anothe EIDE drive to your existing box for the new o/s for example http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo22750&CatIdR2 [word of warning -- tiger direct never redeems a rebate.] These are oem drives that lack the power and data cables. You may need a power cable Y and the 4 screws to mount.
F. George McDuffee wrote:

As am I , but you (Bob) are still a dumbass. I really hate it when my family grows. Well, sort of. Dumb ass. BTW, did I forget to say "Dumb ass"?
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com
F. George McDuffee wrote:

F. George:
    The power supply on my computer at work went out a couple of months ago. That computer is probably 3 1/2 - 4 years old.

    We? You mean you and that parrot sitting on your shoulder? Just kidding. Thanks for the kind words, but I seriously doubt my few posts per week would be missed much.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo22750&CatIdR2
    Thanks for all the juicy computer techie stuff.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Trust us Bob, You'd be missed. Even a few posts per week inproves the signal/noise ratio.

Agreed. The S/N ratio has really been bad since the sporgers came through.
On a second note: Half-nutz, you might want to check out the thread over on PM I started yesterday. - Something - Macro programming. I posted some partial code over there I wrote for an automated VMC. Might be some useful information in there for you......
--
Anthony

Thanks Tony. I did read that, nothing came to mind as far as a contribution from me. It did not go unnoticed.

I thought maybe the secondary content (automation programming) may be of interest to you at some point in the future.
--
Anthony

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:13:51 -0600, F. George McDuffee

www.distrowatch.com
My personal favorite is Xandros
Gunner

I keep 2 new power supplies here on hand at all times. There are 5 computers in this house and invariably a P/S goes south more often than anything else happens to them.
I have found that the high dollar power supplies aren't any better than the $20 el cheapo's either, as far as longevity.
--
Anthony