A little bit transformer theory

Hello people,

I was reading one article on the Internet and I've come accross to term "energizing" transformer. Can you explain me what this means? Is it ordinary transformer where term energizing means transient when connecting first time to voltage? I know about power transformers (high voltages for example in power plants), but I'm not really familliar with energizing transformers.

Thank you very much

Reply to
Pandiani

The expression "energising transformer" is used for several different applications but is typically used where the power supplied is needed to make a unit function - but is not otherwise associated with the primary function of the unit.

For example, an energising transformer is used to establish the electrostatic field on some types of loudspeaker. It performs much the same function as the permanent magnet in more traditional speakers.

I think you need to be more specific about which application you have in mind..

Reply to
Palindrome

You have opened the electrical engineers bucket of worms with this one. Whereas most of us commoners deal with steady state conditions the electrical engineers spend many hours in school studying the first few milliseconds and last few milliseconds of how a circuit energizes and de-energizes. You should get a treatise on this one.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

I think you have found out why many engineers need better communications skills. They think that knowing something is better than being able to communicate that knowledge. That is seldom true.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

All those with arcane knowledge have good reason for keeping that knowledge from the masses..

For many, it is the fear of being found out to be nothing but a flimflam artist.

For medicos, it is probably best that patients don't know what GOK, written on their records, means...

For engineers, it is the fear of being found out to still be a kid at heart, happy in the sandpit.. and being paid for it..

Reply to
Palindrome

Post the link to the article in question here so that we may be able to determine the context in which this term is used.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

The term "energising" a transformer is usually meant to mean the process of connecting the transformer to a supply. It's like "energising" a light bulb by closing a switch.

There is an inrush transient current that occurs on such connection. This could be called an "energising transient" One European article I saw deals with this transient and uses the term "energising transformer"

Of course, Paul Hovnanian has the best answer- what is the article and its context.

Reply to
Don Kelly

Reply to
The Simple Solution

Here is another possibility for miscommunication. I do not consider "magnetizing current" to be synonymous with "connection transient current." Any current flowing in a secondary winding, including the charging of stray capacitance, will lead to a difference between input transient current and magnetizing current.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg