Bit OT - little hot foggers

Following a lead at the Bristol Club Rally, I went up to Tetbury on the XBR yesterday to see a collection of steam models. I came away with three Stuart Turners and another.

A 10H, complete but unpainted. Been run but little used. Not mounted.

An unidentified and somewhat larger ST horizontal engine complete with crank mounted eccentric driving a boiler pump. It is amateurishly painted & has been run but again seen little use. Mounted on a bit of plank.

A No. 9 in very good order but with a apricot coloured flywheel! Probably only run on compressed air. Properly mounted on Honduras mahogany with green baize under it.

All are well engineered, but the two smaller ones need a nut & bolt here and there.

Part of the collection was an all-brass mill engine which appears to be scratch built using a proprietary cylinder and flywheel. This I collected at the rally.

The real prize is a Victorian mill engine about 28"" long. It requires some TLC, but is in excellent general condition, bearing the substantial remnants of paint upon its cast iron base. The conn rod appears to be forge welded. Over the years, various things have befallen the mahogany base & it is rather sad & battered. It has been screwed to another base which in turn is supported by a thick plywood plank, edged in mahogany.

Now I have a problem & would welcome the input of the minds here assembled. I'm keen to renovate this model in a sympathetic way & feel the original base and subsequent efforts let it down. Therefore, I'd like to remount it on a decent piece of wood, possibly yew. Opinions are welcome. Pictures here

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Diplomacy done, plates spun, fires fought, maidens eaten - well, three out of four ain't bad

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Kim,

I'm no expert on these things (any things?) but this looks like it may be an original small power engine (rather than a model) and as such I suspect that conservation or subtle restoration may be in order. Even if it is a model, it's a bit special and any significant change from original may be ill advised. It does look as though it was not originally designed to have provision for a belt drive and one might been added by carving away the base around the flywheel so maybe it was a model or a salesman's piece that got pressed into service at some point. Pure speculation on my part but I think it would very interesting to research further. A lovely thing though - turning green now - got to go! :)

Mark

Reply to
Mark_Howard

Oh, before I start to luminescent: it could of course have been an apprentice piece. My guess from what looks like individually made fixings and the general style and patina it probably dates back to mid Victorian or possibly a bit earlier. The hand made nuts and their style would tend to indicate earlier. Even more speculation on my part but I hope it helps.

Mark

Reply to
Mark_Howard

I'm with Mark. I'd try to retain the 'top layer' of the base. The worst area appears to be where it has been modified around the flywheel well - could some new wood be let in here as has been done on the edge, alternatively could the rest of the well be enlarged to give the appearance of having 'always been like that'?

Interesting engine BTW.

Reply to
Nick H

It probably doesn't appear in the pictures, but there is an indentation in the diameter of the extremity of the mainshaft. It might well be suitable to seat a grub screw in order to secure a pulley.

I did wonder if it was a small power engine - what sort of boiler would be needed to drive it, though? Not inconsiderable.

BTW, I have posted a query on uk.rec.models.engineering

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Diplomacy done, plates spun, fires fought, maidens eaten - well, three out of four ain't bad

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Kim,

I agree, the boiler would not be inconsiderable. Try this

to get an idea of boiler sizing.

I would have thought that all being well fitted, it should run on perhaps 15 to 30 psi.

Mark

Mark_Howard