Bristol Club Rally & carb stuff

The Bristol & South Gloucestershire SEC held their annual one day rally yesterday, Sunday 6th July. There were (by count) 67 engines there, plus a static exhibit of my ABC MkII & a few other non runners we didn't count.

In addition there were a decent number of bikes, cars and commercials which were long past their sell by date, many gleaming in the sun &^ looking pristine. There were a few stalls of the usual tat & I found a few things to bring home but nothing really to raise the blood pressure!

The weather was OK, a few spots of rain but then it cleared up for most of the day, there being a more serious attempt around 3.30. I had been really pi**ed off by a dog with the highest pitched bark I have ever had the misfortune to experience. It was right next to me & the only time it wasn't yapping was when they took it for a walk. I did ask politely if they could attempt to quieten it down, but was fobbed off. So when it briefly rained big spots at 3.30, I packed up and went. And yes, very rare for me, I did complain to a committee member on the way out! Grumble, grumble ....

I was exhibiting my "charging desk" that I'd had set up at Astle Park & it got a lot of attention. The Tiny Tim I bought at Enstone in the spring again ran all day without effort, although it did break its (too thin by far) tank strap. I've been fiddling with the carburetion & finally found the right mix. These small engines are really fussy about fuel mixture & whilst they might run all day misfiring on a rich mixture, it takes very careful adjustment to make them run smoothly. Vibration affecting the float needle as it dies, the head of fuel in the tank then becomes relevant as you are hovering right on the edge of running weak. As the fuel weight lessened, so it stopped - it did it twice & needed choke both times, even though it was hot. It really worked & it took twice as long to stop after I turned the petrol off as it had previously.

Just before the rain, a nice chap called Stuart asked me what that engine was & did I want a couple more! So I called in on the way home & picked up two Tiny Tims, one with a base tank & the other with a top tank for not a lot.

The day concluded by dropping in to see my son on the way home & have a play with Jack, my grandson ;o))

Now I have to unpack the car which has been steadily had more stuff pushed into odd corners for the last month as I had a rally every weekend. :-((

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn