air impedance measurement!

Hi,

I would like to make a device to measure the impedance of the air. I use a ac current source, (i.e.1kHz) to pass through two electrode in a fix distance. What is the possible value of the impedance of the air? Thank you very much!

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Impedance or resistance? What distance? It is a non-linear function. What Altitude and Humidity?

Try electrodes at 1/2 inch at 10,000 volts 0.01 ma. then reduce the gap.

The impedance is very high, then when the arc strikes the impedance drops low. Resistance of air 10 to 10,000 Megohms, however when arc struck (arcing) much lower, below 1 megohm, depending upon distance or the gap.

I would like to make a device to measure the impedance of the air. I use a ac current source, (i.e.1kHz) to pass through two electrode in a fix distance. What is the possible value of the impedance of the air? Thank you very much!

Wayne

Reply to
*

You would not be measuring resistance with an ac voltage. You would be measuring the capacity of the electrodes.

Try electrodes at 1/2 inch at 10,000 volts 0.01 ma. then reduce the gap.

The impedance is very high, then when the arc strikes the impedance drops low. Resistance of air 10 to 10,000 Megohms, however when arc struck (arcing) much lower, below 1 megohm, depending upon distance or the gap.

I would like to make a device to measure the impedance of the air. I use a ac current source, (i.e.1kHz) to pass through two electrode in a fix distance. What is the possible value of the impedance of the air? Thank you very much!

Wayne

Reply to
bushbadee

Hi, The distance between the two electrodes are 2cm and they are in the free air! What is the value of the impedance? Thank you!

in article ca6jrt$2dkf$ snipped-for-privacy@justice.itsc.cuhk.edu.hk, Wayne at ares snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 6/9/04 2:05 AM:

The distance between the two electrodes are 2cm and they are in the free air! What is the value of the impedance? Thank you!

Instead framing the question as given, it may be more sensible to describe the configuration accurately AND to describe the measurement equipment and how it is connected. "Impedance" is probabl;y too general a term.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle