basic 3-phase transformer question

If the secondary has a load on 2 phases but nothing on the third, Will one phase of the primary draw nothing?

RE

Reply to
Ryan Evans

Long Ranger

Could you tell us what the primary and secondary vectors (connections) are for this transformer?

Steve Lockridge Alfa Transformer

Reply to
Steve Lockridge

| If the secondary has a load on 2 phases but nothing on the third, | Will one phase of the primary draw nothing?

That depends on the transformer phase configuration. I would expect a WYE secondary for what you describe. But the primary could be WYE or DELTA. If the primary is also WYE, then the 2 corresponding phases of the primary will draw current, and the other will not. But if the primary is DELTA, two of the primary _windings_ will be drawing current with the phase in common between them having more current and the other two phases having less.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam