Battery Diodes

Hi,

Looking at using schottky diodes as battery diodes for use in split charging systems. Are these bits of kit the sort of thing to use??

and

TVMIA

Reply to
colinstone

It might be useful to specify what voltage the batteries are and what maximum charging currents you are anticipating.

assuming that you will only be passing the charging current, these look a bit OTT - but it does depend on what exactly you have in mind.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Hi, I used similar devices several years ago to provide duplicate battery supplies for marine navigation lights. Reliability was paramount. I presume you are selecting them for the low forward voltage drop.

JT

Reply to
Jethro

Sorry, a bit sparse on info. Want to use them for split charging system. Main engine alt output is 24V 50A, and I then plan to use a advanced alternator controller which will tweak the alt to make it effective a 4 stage battery charger. Forward voltage is not really an issue as the controller senses battery voltage, but I guess low voltage drop would still be beneficial to reduce strain on alternator. 60A diodes would probably do.

The next problem is that the engine battery is a sealed unit, so cannot tolerate the higher voltage that the lead acid battery will take - actually 12 x 2v 920Ah C10 cells weighing a total of just under 600kg empty - will take a further 120kg of acid to fill them.

So also looking for a single pole voltage sensistive relay that will switch off the feed to the engine battery at the appropriate voltage - approx 28v I think, letting the domestic battery to rise to 31v when equalising.

TVMIA

Reply to
colinstone

Schottky's have a low forward voltage. Regular diodes will be fine for your application.

Newsey

Reply to
Newsey Person