Electroplate plastic?

Hi guys:
Is it possible to electroplate conductive plastic? I'd like to plate a thin layer of metal, like copper or silver, onto a conductive plastic sheet
(carbon-filled UHMW). Can it be plated just like any other metal?
If not, are there other options, like electro-depositing?
--
Don A. Gilmore
Engineer, Product Development

thin
you can spray it on too. Depends upon use and how conductive you ned it. Microwave reflector and horn antennas are made this way all the time.
Don A. Gilmore wrote:

I would have thought so, just like any other cathode. Whether the resulting film will stick to the plastic will depend on the surface.
When I was a kid, a thousand years ago, I had a book about making model trains that recommended making the bodies of streamliners by carving them out of candlewax, then covering the wax with graphite, plating over the lot and then melting the wax out. I never tried it, but the photos looked good.
Paul Burke
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:49:08 -0600, the renowned "Don A. Gilmore"

If it's a bit conductive, they'd probably plate copper onto it first, then whatever else you'd like on top. Perhaps with a barrier metal inbetween, depending on the metals.

Vaccum deposition can be done roll-to-roll in a big vacuum chamber. There's also sputtering.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/25154.pdf

plate a thin

sheet
Yes, if you know what you are doing.

What might the difference be?
Franz
Don A. Gilmore wrote:

Define conductive ?
There are tricks to electroplate a metal (usually copper in sulfuric) onto surfaces that have low conductivity. A unit square surface conductivity below 10 kohms can be plated without too much trouble.
Adam