Vari-speed plastic bushing question

What kind of glue do you use to install new plasic busings into the vari-speed disc in a Bridgeport 2J head? Is there a particular technique to use in the installation?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian

There is no glue. There is a grove in the disc that the lip of the plastic insert drops into. That is what keeps it from sliding out.

If you are having trouble keeping the inserts in the grove them you may have warn discs. My 2J head had that problem. The holes looked OK. When I measured them they had a taper. Sometime in the past someone must have let the inserts wear out completely and start wearing the discs. The choice then becomes buy new discs or modify the old discs.

What I did was to enlarge the hole in the disc to remove all of the taper. Then I machined new inserts out of Delrin. These looked just like the original but had a thicker wall. They have been running for a while now with no problems.

Pete.

Reply to
Peter Reilley

Reply to
Dennis J Brown

Brian: For years I've used JB Weld. They have some out called JB KWIK. Sets up in five minutes. I've tried other types but JB Weld or Kwik works the best. Been using this stuff for years. Already have done 2 heads this week and have another tomorrow.I get in with a Rotary Tool like Dremel and clean out the old glue with a Drum Sander Then use a cut off wheel to clean the old glue out of the groove in the middle of the Pulley. Then put the bushings and key in dry and make sure it fits on the motor shaft or spindle pulley hub. Then take the bushings and key out and glue them up. Good Luck Rich

Reply to
Rich Freese

excellent, thanks very much. Actually, I ordered just the bushings, I thought, but they arrived last night and they were actually a nice kit, with the bushings, the plastic keys, the spring clip for the motor shaft, some mandrels to size the bushings in the pulleys and not only the glue, but the sandpaper to rough up the bores (and two popsicle sticks to mix the epoxy...)! Plus instructions...:) I got new belts, too. Weekend project, here I come...I pick up the rewound motor tomorrow.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian

some of the hubs and shaft are worn so most people do not use the arbor that comes with the kit. the glue and install the bushing and fit it to the motor before it dries. this will give you enought squish so you have a good fit according to your shaft.

Reply to
Asp3211968