christmas light question

i have three sets of christmas lights and what i wanna do is to chase
each other in a way so i want 1 to turn on then one to shut off as 2
turns on then 2 to turn off as 3 turns on then 3 turn off as 1 turns
on and so on. is there a device that i can buy or make that would have
three plug ins and would do what i said above??
Reply to
Hallhair
Good suggestion, much better than a 4017 and 3 relays :-)
Reply to
René
You need a PC, Ethernet I/O Rack, and Wonderware. It wouldn't be too hard to set up and you could do it under $6000, easy.
You could ring up Wonderware and they would probably give you a break on the run-time key since it's Christmas and all.
Hope that helps. Ho Ho Ho.
Reply to
Steve Cothran
Seems I remember T.J. Byers has shown how to do things like this in past issues of Nuts & Volts magazine. I think you can use 3 555 timers (timer #1 controls timer #2 which in turn controls timer #3) to output to 3 opto-isolators/triacs to turn on/off the Xmas light strings sequentially. Sorry that I can't provide a schematic. Sincerely,
John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@itd.nrl.navy.mil Naval Research Laboratory 4555 Overlook Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20375-5337
Reply to
J. B. Wood
low cost light chase controllers are made for DJ disco lighting. try
vissage wirless controller looks interesting
or maybe

TimPerry
Just buy the lights that are meant for that purpose. All three strings will cost you less than $40.00.
i have three sets of christmas lights and what i wanna do is to chase each other in a way so i want 1 to turn on then one to shut off as 2 turns on then 2 to turn off as 3 turns on then 3 turn off as 1 turns on and so on. is there a device that i can buy or make that would have three plug ins and would do what i said above??
Reply to
Brian
Christmas lights are evil -
I woudl wager there is more time wasted, more swearing done, more injuries, and more families waiting to fidgiting because of those d___ lights than for any other single reason..
they have to be an evil chinese plot to destroy america.
and still I put them up and buy more....
Reply to
Hobdbcgv
I did that many years ago with 3 SSRs (solid state relays) and a GE Series 1 Jr plc. Not because it was cost efficient, but because it seemed like a fun project. From my experience, use 4 strings. 3 does not give a good chasing effect.
Anyway, check out the following. And quoting Elsie Hickham, "Just don't blow yourself up." :-)
No Spam
I did that many years ago with 3 SSRs (solid state relays) and a GE Series 1 Jr plc. Not because it was cost efficient, but because it seemed like a fun project. From my experience, use 4 strings. 3 does not give a good chasing effect.
Anyway, check out the following. And quoting Elsie Hickham, "Just don't blow yourself up." :-)
No Spam
Actually you need a 4017, 3 relays, 3 transistors, a 555 timer, 4 resistors, and a capacitor.
-Bill
Reply to
wrongaddress
I built one of these (4 channel) in a deep 4 square electrical box with 4 receptacles using SSRs for my wife's flower store window in the 80s. I saw it this week and it is still going strong. I used the "capacitor trick" power supply, no transformer.
Reply to
Greg