city vs private sector

Okay guys.. I need some advice from experts.. :-)

I have an offer from the Fire Dept as an assistant electrical engineer. I'll just be checking FA drawings in compliance of the NFPA

101 and 72. Not the NEC grrr. and its about 60-90min commute.

I am currently employed in the private sector as an electrical engineer doing high power distribution design. I do AutoCAD 2d, 3d dwg files and lighting simulation. Of course, like any other job we had massive layoffs, and like any other job they say no more layoffs.. but we are all waiting till next quarter.. with this job i get paid 5k more and the commute is 30-45 from home. Did I mention that I have been doing down time and they lowered peoples hours to 30. Bottom line i like designing I get artistic

As an electrical engineer I wanted to stay in the private sector and wait it out. But with the economy doesn't look like its getting any better. The big boss however tries to calm us by trying to get more contracts. Currently i'm trying to get my FE for the 3x. Also I have to think about my family and not myself. I know the city jobs are more secure and i'll be in a union, but the pay isn't all that..

any info would help.. :-) Thanks..!

Reply to
mr.see

Well, speaking as an unemployed person, a lot of it depends on how well off the city is, but most of the time I'd go with the benefits of the City job. I haven't had medical insurance in a decade, and you're almost guaranteed to get them with a government job.

Reply to
Anthony Guzzi