Current reversal in 2 connected car batteries?

It's not my fault you move in small circles :-)

Would you be referring to the French officials trying to define their language? You do realise that they aren't actually your typical Frenchman, don't you?

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Is it utter bollucks. Industry is declining in almost every developed economy, period, no matter where it is.

The service sectors are behind our supposedly strong economy.

British industry has been in decline now for over thirty years.

As far as economic growth goes, yes the headline figures show we have better growth. But as for it being stronger? Certainly not in absolute terms.

It's somewhat more complicated than this, though.

A civil war? Nothing like we've seen in the last sixty years? Just out of interest, where have you been?

Reply to
DervMan

This isn't an issue here.

Reply to
DervMan

That, and those Englishmen who insist on being self-appointed arbiters of the English language.

Uh, yeah, it was a joke.

Eric Lucas

Reply to
<lucasea

He's American, so he only knows what he sees in the US media.

Reply to
SteveH

But the yanks don't claim to speak American, they claim to speak English, which they clearly do not.

Reply to
SimonJ

Personally I don't care who claims to speak English, as long as that is what they are doing, rather than speaking some other language which they invented themselves based on English.

Reply to
SimonJ

Because of course Yanks are not self-superior at all, are they!

Reply to
SimonJ

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

While that's true, it's /also/ the language of a number of other countries. We don't hold exclusive rights to it.

Reply to
Guy King

Well you could at least have written it in the style of Chaucer.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We own the rights to true English. There's many bastardised forms of it, though.

Reply to
SteveH

So your position is that, because you believe what your media tells you about American being self-superior, you are justified in acting that way, too? At least I have the evidence of my own eyes in this case...

Eric Lucas

Reply to
<lucasea

Do you even comprehend the irony of your words? If you're going to claim to own it, please do at least learn how to write it correctly.

Eric Lucas

Reply to
<lucasea

*sigh*

It's a perfectly correct sentence. In terms of ancient grammar it may be technically wrong, but it's a perfectly acceptable phrase to use.

It's our language and it will evolve in whichever way we want it to evolve. Please note, this doesn't mean that the 'English' you speak is actually 'English' in any way, shape, or form.

Your 'English' is a form of the language developed for your inferior intellect.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, so you don't understand...

Apparently, judging by your writing. The English I write actually obeys some basic rules of grammar.

...and you even manage to be overbearing and pompous while not getting it. As far as I am aware, English has not evolved to the point where it is standard for the subject and the verb not to agree as to their number.

Eric Lucas

Reply to
<lucasea

And the Limeys claim to own their little language, so what?

Talk to most Americans and they'll say they speak American English.

Reply to
DervMan

If you think you're referring to American English, you're looking up the wrong butt because American English is very similar to British English a couple of hundred years ago.

Oh, does that seem like a co-incidence?

Reply to
DervMan

"True English?" Is that like the Queens' English, then? Which is very close to the language spoken in Fort William, which I may add is in Scotland.

I don't know anybody who speaks "true English."

Reply to
DervMan

I can't decide what "paper" you read. Is it the laughably called "News Of The World" or the "Sun" to reach these narrow minded, jaundiced opinions of the world?

Reply to
DervMan

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Strikes me there's a clue in the name...

Reply to
Adrian