Current reversal in 2 connected car batteries?

Every implementation I've seen uses a 42V battery.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

BillW50 ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.kom) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not over here.

24v H1 bulb
24v snowmen and xmas trees...

Even a 24v illuminated Barbie doll...

Adrian

BillW50 ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.kom) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No... By that reckoning, a 2l car engine would be about 40bhp, instead of the

150bhp that's more normal.

Slight drawback...

A big modern 1000 bike like a ZX10R is closer to 180bhp...

Reply to
Adrian

In electrical terms, that's 134 kW, or 1,000 amps at 134 volts if the drive system were 100% efficient.

Compared to a storage battery, there's a whale of a lotta energy wrapped up in those gasoline molecules.

Roy Lewallen

Reply to
Roy Lewallen

In alt.engineering.electrical Roy Lewallen wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> In alt.engineering.electrical BillW50 wrote: |> |> | Grrrr! There ain't much of a difference between 42v and 48v to really |> | matter. Yet someone controlling the standards says there is. :( |> |> They are always making new and different standards. If you don't like |> this one, there will be another coming along shortly. Or just make |> your own and get everyone to go along with you. I'd rather see 48 or |> 24 or 12 as the case may be. Where people come up with all these odd |> voltages ... oh wait ... probably a fist full of dice :) | | Back when TVs had tubes, each year the TV manufacturers would come out | with their new models. And every year, the tube lineup was entirely | different. The innards of the tubes were pretty much the same, but each | year they had different numbers of pins and pin layouts, often different | filament voltages, and came with different combinations of tubes in the | same envelope. So each year every service shop would have to buy one or | more sets of the new tubes so they'd have them on hand. Shops ended up | with a huge inventory of different tube types which could have been | replaced by no more than a couple of dozen standard tubes.

The 12AU7 seemed to be pretty steady. I built a few projects around one until it blew the filament (maybe I miswired it). A friend has a

12AX7 so we tried it. It worked.
Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Gotta draw the line somewhere. 48V is it.

No.

I'll tell you what. I'll take the SUV and you can have the moped, front-on at 60MPH. ;-)

Now you know why there aren't any all-electric SUVs.

Next exercise; how many pounds of batteries will it take to produce that 18kW for, say, five hours?

Finally, if all cars ran on batteries, how many new power plants would we need?

Variable frequency drives. Where are you getting your AC battery?

Reply to
Keith Williams

Yep. Think about it this way. A battery is nothing more than a device that makes reactive "molecules" (using the term loosely) react in such a way as to give electricity. Those reactive "molecules" have about the same energy density (within a factor of 10) as gasoline does. However, the volume of those materials in the battery is at least a factor of a hundred less than the volume of gasoline in the tank. The obvious advantage of a battery is that you can regenerate the reactive molecules, on the fly, whereas you need to stop and fill the gas tank occasionally.

Mankind was *unbelievably* lucky to have found such a high-density source of energy...or you could say "unlucky", but I don't want to kick off *that* political discussion again.

Eric Lucas

Reply to
<lucasea

Well think of it in another way... a nuclear sub only needs to refuel once every 18 years. So that is better than anything else I can think of. :D

I fly RC (radio control) model aircraft. And we use high density fuels with nitro added. Thus we can fly (planes and helicopters) with the smallest of fuel tanks. Although I also use electric RC aircrafts too. And the newer batteries are catching up with the gas powered aircrafts. They are almost the same size, same weight, same power, etc. It is getting very close nowadays. And the belief is technology is getting better and someday electric will surpass gasoline engines in the too not distant future. :)

Reply to
BillW50

Desperate Dan

And what would they use for fuel?