dc generator

Hi,

I intend to use an old petrol powered dc generator/welder for charging a

24V1000Ah battery. The measured open circuit voltage on the generator is 65VDC. A DC/DC charge controller efficiently will bring this down to the required batt. charging voltage (24...29VDC). Now, here comes my question: can I use the generator as a motor to start the petrol engine with? I understand that the inrush starting current would have to be limited to some extent, as this will be provided by the juicy 24V battery.... thanks for your replies, Peter.
Reply to
Peter Freihofner

--------- What kind of generator - it appears to have a shunt winding but also, if used for welding, likely has a fairly hefty series winding. In he latter case, it may work. - I assume that starting now is done with a pull rope so the start torque and speed needs are low. If it has only a shunt field, then the chance of success will be quite a bit lower.-particularly at 24V. It may be trial and error time.

-- Don Kelly snipped-for-privacy@peeshaw.ca remove the urine to answer

Reply to
Don Kelly

thanks Don,

yep, there is a heavy series coil (fewer turns) and a finer (more turns) shunt coil - both on a common iron core (core has two little air gaps). The welder brand is Wisconsin. In an attempt to get the rotor spinning I momentarily had a 12V car battery connected directly to the welding electrode contacts. Unfortunately, the rotor didn't budge at all. I guess the generator/motor is just not giving enough starting torque (due to lack of a stronger series induction?) Meanwhile, I gave up on the idea and bought standard run of the mill AC generator (alternator with a briggs&stratton 4 stroke plus starter motor) which I'm going to modify for my purpose. catcha, Peter.

Reply to
Peter

---------- Sometimes that is the simplest and cheapest solution.