Digital TV frequencies?

I have a lo band vhf station on channel 6 near me. I use an outside antenna. I understand the uhf channels above 70 have been sold off to phone companies. Since this has nothing to do with lo band vhf, what happens on Feb 17? Transmitter shuts off, or they start broadcasting a different waveform on the same frequency? In the latter case, the existing vhf antenna can be used. I understand the local vhf channels have digital uhf channels also that are read by the converter box, so a directional uhf antenna might pull these in, but do I need to rent a spectrum analyzer to see whats on loband vhf on Feb 17?

Reply to
BobG

The FTC has a page on the frequencies used by every (supposedly) station in the US making the switch. Not ALL stations are abandoning analog transmissions; especially the low powered stations. But most are, for sure.

It's also a crapshoot as to whether they will stay on the same frequency they have, or will move to a higher, UHF frequency. Around here all but 1 have changed their frequencies to UHF; only one has stayed where it was. The channel number you use, however, does not change. For example, one station here transmits on channel 31 but I still receive it as channel 7. 7.1 and 7.2. So, somehow there are interpreters along the way.

Here's one such list:

Twayne

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Cool list. Nothing left in loband vhf, just a couple indys in hi band, rest in uhf. Time to get rid of the vhf antenna I guess. Thanks for the reference!

Reply to
BobG

Channels 71 to 83 have been gone for years. they were used for translator services at one time. Channel 14 in some areas was used for UHF two way radio services in areas (like Chicago) without enough frequencies for police, fire and other emergency vehicles. CFR-47 covers all of the FCC regulations, and has all the details. Historical records can be found on the FCC site if you dig long enough.

If you want to know what a local station will be doing you should check their website, or call them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell