"Do not use solvents on electronic equipment"

Alcohol is not considered a "solvent" for any plastics, metals or epoxies used in electronics. It makes for a fair cleaner to remove grease and oils..

Reply to
Robert Baer

What about George Best?

Reply to
sQuick

Anything which removes labels or the glue they leave behind is of interest to me! Do you know what Goof-Off's active ingredients are ?

Reply to
David Peters

Mostly xylene.

Another label/glue remover is "goo gone". The above database lists its ingredients as "proprietary or trade secret", but IIRC it's orange scented naptha.

Reply to
Keith

The Allsop CD Strong Box:

The vast majority of CD (music, ROM, or otherwise) jewel boxes are polystyrene, including the half-thickness jewel cases. Some music CDs come with a clear center insert.

Reply to
y_p_w

Don't know, but the product is a bout 3.00 a pint at my local Home Depot. It will burn your skin pretty well if you leave it on for a while. I used it once to remove tar off my fore-arm, and I won't do that again.

Reply to
Long Ranger

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:11:14 -0500, Keith Gave us:

Neither are good for removing labels affixed to plastic surfaces.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Perfect, thanks!

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:43:02 -0500, Spehro Pefhany Gave us:

Jeez, dude (edited, was dipshit). Google is your friend. A simple search on "Polycarbonate CD Cases" yields hits galore!

Roy L. Fuchs

Most likely limonene (although you'd probably be able to smell that chemical over a solvent, whatever the mix). Used in any "orange" cleaner product, and evidently, suprisingly effective, considering it comes from orange peel.

Tim

Tim Williams

Moron, there are *thousands* of different "plastics". Such an absolute statement shows what a complete moron you are! BTW, Goo-Gone works fine on many plastics, including melamine.

What a frappin' moron!

Reply to
Keith

Could be. They advertise that it's "orange", but I'm not convinced. It does work, though not as well as other solvents.

Reply to
Keith

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:35:26 -0500, Keith Gave us:

From the shit you spew in these groups, you have been huffing the crap for years.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Why don't you try snorting some, DimBulb. It might clear up your head! What a maroon! ...and everyone here knows it.

Reply to
Keith

CAlling Roy that is an insult to maroons everwhere! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hammond Mfg, in your own country, in fact :-).

I've used some of the transluscent and some of the clears and was very happy.

I think some of the NEMA-rated boxes are polycarbonate too.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

I have alswys liked to use spray furniture polish for optics. I beleive it contain silicon and this leaves a very fine (effectively optically transaprent) film which is also grease resistent.

Reply to
David Peters

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 03:47:37 GMT, David Peters Gave us:

RainX is better.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

I use BBQ lighter fluid on plastics, with great results. No damage of finish or paint. Best to test a inconspicuous space first, of course.

Reply to
JW

Alcohol is one of the more innocuous of the organic solvents. I doubt that it would attack any plastic case, but other solvents can. One thing that alcohol can do is dissolve the labelling ink on some circuit boards or components. This would make repair (i.e., replacement based on the component value or board number) difficult, maybe dangerous if it happened that a lower-voltage component were substituted, for example, because the original component's label had become smudged or obliterated. Solvents might dissolve the lubricant on switch contacts, or sliders, or disperse it over potentiometer tracks causing later problems. Spraying solvent into equipment may damage speaker cones or piezo speakers.

Liberally dripping solvent into equipment may cause it to malfunction, e.g., an air-gap capacitor trimmer will have different parameters when the dielectric is liquid solvent, and if the solvent is flammable it might cause a fire from static electricity or a switching spark. If a cleaning solution were to leave an hygroscopic residue on a circuit board this could initiate electrochemical corrosion (copper/brass + lead/steel/ aluminium in contact in a conductive solution). Water-based cleaners with ammonia will be conductive, so could short out tracks on a board.

-- John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)

Reply to
John Savage