Driving ground rods

Readership,
Is an 'almost' horizontally driven 8' 5/8" rnd ground rod as effective as a vertically driven ground rod ???
Clay/Shale at about 4' depth , thus the query about 'near' horizontal.
Ed

ground rods can be installed in a varity of ways. However, the differences in the installation can and usually do effect the usefulness of the rod. I personally do not ever install one. I install them in pairs spaced a minimum of the distance that they are long. It is possible to drive one or even two rods in poor grounding conditions and not get the <25 ohms for a safety ground (NEC).
Most of my grounding installations are considered "performance" < 5 ohms. All of my installed ground systems are tested. Several ground systems are tested several times a year. I live in the desert and grounding can be problem.

Always water your ground rod daily in desert settings. :-]

The code says up to 45 degrees is OK. If you have a question, drive another rod at least 6 feet away and connect them together
0_Qed wrote:
Thanks for the replys.
Ed
remove the X to answer
Don Kelly wrote:
...snip...
Don,
Thanks for the detailed reply ... now have a 'PhD' in horiz driven grnd rods.
Ed

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in