5/8" lifting eyes

I need 4 lifting eyes 5/8" x 11 tpi, so WHIT or UNC - anyone got any or know of a source? Ebay devoid of them at the moment.

(for lifting a Eurospark H425 spark eroder - about 1.5 ton or so)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thought you might have been in luck here, but just checked & they're all 3/4"

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

How soon do you need them? I may have a couple of them I've kept from out factory move but they are quite probably buried in a box with a ton of other stuff on top! Failing that, I have to pop into my local lifting gear hire company tomorrow or saturday and I could ask there.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Checked all our stuff, all metric, and our local nuts and bolts place only had up to 1/2" in old imperial stuff.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Peter, a couple of weeks or so at this rate. Do solicitors have an anatomical connection to gastropods ????

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

place only had

Peter, thanks for looking - much appreciated.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Do a Google for Dynamo Bolts [ their correct name ] can only find Metric ones listed . How about getting some M16's and dieing them down

No don't tell me the dies have been sold on Ebay

I'll also check with the motor rewinders tomorrow

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I think I may have a couple in the top of the J&S 1400.

let me know If I should put then in the post

Other than that:-

Both do dynamo eyebolts at a lower price, but don't use them if you might be lifting sideways.

regards Mark Rand

Reply to
Mark Rand

Just thinking about this again there is another possible way to do it if the NG can't find any4-off x 5/8" for you. On our mould tools we use a mild steel lifting strap on the top, usually around 1.5" thick x 2" wide x whatever length to suit, bolted at the ends in line with front and rear outside faces with a single eyebolt in the strap at the CofG.

A single 16mm eyebolt will happily lift our largest mould tool which weighs in at about 1.25 tonne, and this has to go up about 2.5 metres off the ground. I think the rated capacity is somewhere closer to 2 tonnes.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Peter They wouldn't happen to have 1/2" UNC would they? Been looking for a couple for ages, can get Whit but, of course, 1/2" is the one size where UNC and Whit don't have the same pitch. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Mark,

If they are 5/8" 11 then it would be much appreciated - I can probably get away using two across a diagonal

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Forgot to add that the lifting strap only works for regular shaped/mass objects of course so probably no good whatsover for the sparker! Just ignore me, I get the brain back soon.....

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Another way is to use an oversize eye nut (can't remember the proper technical term) with a bolt passed through the thread. The local bolt people kitted me up that way when I needed a 1/2" W eyebolt to lift a heavy flywheel. I'm going there in the morning (need 2BA countersunk socket screws!), I'll enquire after 5/8" eyes for you.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

They are BSW so they _should_ be 11 tpi!

Mark Rand

Reply to
Mark Rand

The Dynamo Bolts mentioned above are designed for use on Dynamos & Motors ONLY and should never be used on other kit for lifting. The are not as heavly built as Standard lifting eyes and as such are only used singley on a direct vertical lift.

Lifting eyes should be lined up such that the rings in opposite corners are in line with each other and fully screw down, packing washers are permitted to achieve this.

Refer to web site shown for general guidelines and they also advise that UNC threads are available.

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

Asked at the local bolt place, they don't have them on the shelf, would have to order them in. They did have my 2BA socket countersunks though

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

Tim, thanks for asking - mucho appreciated

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Popped into Lifting gear Hire today to pick up a strap and asked about the eyebolts. The 5/8" BSW are £3.20 each, not stock but available in

1-2 days. Your nearest branch would be: South Thames Branch Kellner Road West Thamesmead Business Park. London SE28 0AX Tel: 020 8854 6248 Fax 020 8316 0501

I'll have a look through my stuff this weekend as I'm sure I've got a couple in there somewhere.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Andrew -

No idea if these guys sell them, but they seem to stock all sorts of obscure imperial fasteners, so might be worth a bell:

Charnwood Fasteners 01509 237280

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Sutch Lifting have them i think in stock just got a load off them

nick