looking for 5/8" 16 TPI bolt source

The crank pulley bolt on a BMC A-series engine is 5/8" 16 TPI. I can't seem
to match that to any thread series. Is it a custom truly non-standard
thread, or is there a hope of finding a source for a 1.5" long bolt in that
thread?
Thanks, Brian
Reply to
Brian
Brian wrote in article ...
If the "B" in BMC stands for "British", and the machine is older, it's quite possible that you have a Whitworth bolt - a unique creature unto itself.
Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Racing Chassis Analysis Services
Reply to
Bob Paulin
Machinerys handbook lists it as 5/8 -16 UN between UNC and UNF. From my experience with the A series it uses unified threads and not BSW / BSF. Are you doing something special with the engine or do you just require a replacement.
Brian wrote:
Reply to
David Billington
I should have looked in Machinery's myself, rather than relying on a new-fangled Google search! thanks!
I am dry-sumping the engine, and need to drive a minimum 1/2" wide gilmer pulley for the oil pump in addition to the normal crank damper and water pump pulley. One design would work better if I could get a longer bolt to hold the pulleys on with. It's British Motor Company (British Leyland, etc.) and the engine is a 1071cc Formula Junior engine for a 1960's Cooper.
Brian
Reply to
Brian
I think you may have to resort to thread cutting a special.
Brian wrote:
Reply to
David Billington