5/16-27 threads

MSC has that tap, HSS Special hand tap, plug 04841201 $14.44, bottoming

04841219 $14.44 these are imports, btw

gun screw threads are strange ducks, but, I dunno why this one is what it is

Reply to
Jon

Singer (the sewing machine people, who also have a repertoire of nifty industrial products), were legendary for their in-house oddball screw sizes/pitches. Which, of course, you had to order from them. Beautiful plated/SS screws, tho, often oval/filister headed, shoulder, etc.

Also, hazarding a guess, I think some oddball sizes were created here to match foreign/Bri'ish threads, and sometimes to serve as "jam threads", by just being a tad different from a std thread.

Just 10-32 and 10-24 throws me for a loop.... Also #12, 14 screws.... :)

Reply to
DrollTroll

I was looking to buy some bore cleaning brushes to clean out small holes, have some in .38 cal. Well I found out the larger shotgun bore brushes have a 5/16-27 thread on them, thought this to be very strange, the smaller ones are a standard 8-32.

Where did a 5/16-27 come from? common on other gun stuff?

Good place to buy them cheap? or other small wire brushes to use instead of bore brushes?

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I suspect that just about anything with 27 tpi evolved from gas piping.

Back when homes were lit with gas, there was a lot of small piping needed.

A quick check shows 1/16 in nominal pipe had 27tpi and an OD of .313"

Sounds like the ticket.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Wes

Wes

5/16-27 is a British, gas (brass pipe) thread. Might not be of any help though...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Sure, but that just defers the questions as to why 27 at all? Market manipulation?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Common on lamp sockets and the tubes which carry the wires to them. I think that they were originally the thread on indoor gas lights.

And 5/8-27 is a common microphone mount thread.

Some lathes with quick-change gearboxes can cut 27 TPI (like my Clausing), some can not (including at least *some* South Bend lathes).

Of course pretty much any lathe with manual change gears can be set up to cut that.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Mark,

Are you thinking of BSB (British Standard Brass, although not as far as I am aware a BS standard) which is a 26 TPI constant pitch series with

55degrees Whitworth form and often confused with some of the 26TPI members of BSC which uses a 60 degree thread form. I looked up BSP yesterday but thread of this size in BSP use 28 TPI.
Reply to
David Billington

It may be an American 1/8" NB pipe thread. That has a 27 TPI pitch

Reply to
Grumpy
1/8" NPT threads, shotgun cleaning rods, the copper pipe on Victor torch rosebuds are the 27 TPI applications I've run into. No idea where it actually originated. My South Bend won't do it. I'm sure some lathes will, I just haven't seen one.

Bill

Reply to
BillM

Yup, that sounds like an 1/8" straight pipe thread which is a variation of the more common tapered pipe thread. You should be able to screw it to any standard 1/8" pipe fitting. So, I'd wager they were using standard pipe as the rod and using a standard pipe thread for the connections. Why use an odd thread pitch on pipe threads? Perhaps to prevent people from attempting to screw standard fasteners into the tapered threads. That would deter folks from trying to cap a pipe with a standard screw, which would not seal well due to a lack of taper.

If memory serves me, garden hose threads, which are referred to as

3/4" GHT, are 1 1/16 by 11 1/2 TPI. Now there is an oddball thread...
Reply to
Polymer Man

Gas lighting was starting to spread while Maudslay was still inventing the screwcutting lathe.

My personal guess is that 27tpi is as fine a thread that men can reliably chase freehand.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

=============== That was the change gears installed on the lathe when the rush order for some 5/16 screws came in?

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Enco 319-6373 $14.27 for the plug tap, 319-6469 $13.96 for the die. They also have 1/4-80 if you ever need one. The few things I've bought from them recently were good quality.

The South Bend 10L can cut 11-1/2 and 27 TPI.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have run across a close approximation to 1/8 - 27 NTP but with 28 TPI, and since I was rejuvenating junk, I just ran the 27 TPI tap in and used a bit of extra pipe dope. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

The Brits use 28tpi in the same small nominal size pipes. It also has a

55deg thread.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

To discourage using homebrew devices in a safety-sensitive application is my guess. This eliminates using standard screws drilled hollow as fittings, since you can't find a standard screw at 27 TPI. :-)

And in those days -- it was not just fire/explosion danger. The gas used did not have the butyl mercaptain (sp?) additive to give it an odor, so it was easy to be killed by a leak.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Pipe threads would be rough on a lathe - having to do it on a taper and having the cutter perpendicular to the face.

Martin

Mart> 1/8" NPT threads, shotgun cleaning rods, the

Martin H. Eastburn