I am on Amtrak Zephyr going to California

It actually looks nice and comfortable so far. The trip should take 2 days. I am traveling with my 7 year old.

Ignoramus32753 wrote:

You are going to LOVE the trip. The two of you will remember it for the rest of your lives.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com
Ignoramus32753 wrote:

You'll be going within 200 yards of my house as you pass through Davis, Ca.
Give me a call if you stop in Davis long enough to say hi.
530 204 8473
-jim

Thanks, I will try !!! Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by more readers you will need to find a different means of posting on Usenet. http://improve-usenet.org /
Jim Stewart wrote:

According to the AMTRAK site it stops in Emeryville and doesn't go by Davis.
Jim
Jim Chandler wrote:

Oops, looks like I looked at the wrong site. That site said the train went from Chicago to Emeryville. Other sites said that it goes to San Fransicko so, Never Mind!
Jim

it does 4:42 pm
Ignoramus32753 wrote:

I knew that! That will teach me to read more carefully. I forgot that Emeryville was near OAKLAND and not SACRAMENTO (and I used to live in Vacaville). Whatever! Enjoy the trip. My question is, how are you managing to stay connected?
Jim

I have a Linux laptop and use "Sprint wireless broadband" card called "sierra". This thing is awesome, works fast near Chicago, sometimes it is slow, and sometimes it does not work at all due to no coverage (in rural areas), but it is great to have. I have no idea how long into the trip it will work, but so far, I would say it worked 70% of time outside of Chicago area. Slow is fine with me, since I can easily work over a slow ssh connection. In the Chicago area, it works very well. In some other areas it is slow due to using some more inferior type of connection.
Maybe you will be using some of the older Southern Pacific (SP) lines as you go. Sprint was SPradioInternal IIRC. something like that - was a microwave line across the whole train system - then someone thought why not sell time.... Sprint started and haven't looked back.
In the old days there was the long multiple delay along the train tracks....
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Ignoramus32753 wrote:

Ignoramus32753 wrote:

Enjoy the trip. You will be seeing some very beautiful country along there. Too bad you're going to be so far north.
Jim

thanks... we are taking lots of pictures...

I do expect a photo journal of the trip to enjoy vicariously.

Cool. I bet you have a lap top with wifi? Enjoy the time with your son.

It is a laptop with a wireless modem (GPRS, I think). i

You never cease to amaze me. What a dad!
Steve