Looking for source for Metric Carriage bolts

Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble finding what I would call a carriage bolt, it looks just like a carriage bolt except that it has a spline round shape under the head instead of a square shape that is usually under the head of a carriage bolt. The round shoulder under the head is a fine spline that looks about 8 mm long.

The bolts are used to secure a steel gas tank support arm to the frame of a truck.

I need a source of supply I can order from here in the USA but I'm having trouble finding this item.

Thread specs = 10 mm OD X 1.5 mm pitch Length under head = Need at least 40 mm long but can cut down a longer bolt if needed. Head diameter = Approximately 20 mm OD, but can use a little larger if needed. Grade = Prefer a 10.9 class or whatever the strongest grade available is. The round spline shape or shoulder that is directly under the head has an 11 mm OD.

I have tried local hardware and autoparts stores along with

I also looked through the
catalog but have not found anything yet.

Does anyone have an idea of where I might find something like this ?

Thanks John

Reply to
John2005

You seem to be looking for metric rib neck bolts. Try here first:

Brian

John2005 wrote in news:6cf85d33-24c0-49f0-80ab-ddc328b616e7 @x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

You may be looking for what is called a ribbed neck carriage bolt.

------- Charly Coughran snipped-for-privacy@DELETE-TO-RESPOND-UCSD.EDU

Reply to
Charly Coughran

John2005 wrote the following on 9/18/2008 00:49:

If the other places don't pan out, try Metric & Multistandard Components Corp:

Lance

*****
Reply to
Lance

Thanks for your replies guys,

Actually, this does not seem to be a "ribbed carriage bolt" because the splines on those are too course and long.

The splines on these bolts are short and fine like those on a common wheel stud. It looks just like a wheel stud but with a standard round carriage bolt head.

If I can't find it I'm just going to use a 7/16" OD grade 8 hex head bolt with a washer under the head.

I was not sure if there was a functional reason for using the carriage bolts.

Thanks John

Reply to
John2005