electric motor voltage

Anyone know if a standard GE or Dayton motor rated at 220/240 volts can be easily wired to run on 110/120. Most motors seem to have the option for both, however if it doesn't state it on the nameplate can it still be done and how? Thanks - Ken

Reply to
Ken Yale

If it doesn't have the 120v ratings on the nameplate it probably can't be wired for 120.

Reply to
gfretwell

Would it be feasable to use a step-up transformer and what size(watts) would I need for a 1/4HP motor running a small air compressor? What transformer lifespan could I expect if the motor is run on a 15 minute on/off cycle year round in temperatures ranging from -30C to +30C? It is used to aerate a septic system. Would it use the same amount of electricity as using a regular 220volt circuit? As you can tell I'm not an electrician! Thanks for any info. Ken

Reply to
Ken Yale

Could be done- you would need at least a 500 watt transformer (allowing for power factor and efficiency of the motor) and it will have some losses. Frankly, unless you can get a good one cheaply- why not just replace the motor?

Reply to
Don Kelly