electrocution speed

Hello, is it true that 110V electrocution speed is lower than the 220V one? Thank you :)

Reply to
Dany

Voltage doesn't kill. It's the current that kills so your question is meaningless.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Your answer confirms what I thought. I asked that question because some sites say that electrocution is greater with 220V.

Reply to
Dany

It depends upon how "electrocution speed" is defined. Moreover, how do you include or exclude the effects non-electrical factors in the "speed"?

Reply to
Salmon Egg

That is still meaningless, because you don't say what form of '220V' you are talking about. if you are talking residential US wiring, you have to get across both sides of the line. One side to ground is 120V. You also don't state the conditions that either incident occurs, as well. You have given no valid data to form a valid conclusion.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Scriveva Michael A. Terrell sabato, 03/09/2011:

I meant 220V one phase to ground. In the same situation and condition, is it more dangerous to get an electric shock of 120V or 220V ? Thank you ;)

Reply to
Dany

110V is plenty high enough. If you're in doubt, stick your fingers into a socket.
Reply to
krw

If all other conditions are identical, it might. OTOH, the higher voltage could cause a muscle spasm that pushes you away from the voltage source, or ground. It's still a crap shoot.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ok :) thank you all

Reply to
Dany

I didn't say it wasn't!

Reply to
Stuart

Then 220V won't "more easily break down" what's already been broken down.

Reply to
krw

Not going to argue with you, I'm just presenting known facts here.

Reply to
Stuart

Scriveva Michael A. Terrell sabato, 03/09/2011:

I meant 220V one phase to ground. In the same situation and condition, is it more dangerous to get an electric shock of 120V or 220V ? Thank you ;)

----------------------------------- There are too many factors beside voltage. There have been cases of people getting across 13KV to ground and surviving and others of 120V to ground not surviving.In the first- spasms can throw one clear of contact and the heart can start normally. In the second, the heart may not recover normal rhythm. Duration, body current, health are factors. Voltage, except as it influences these is not of concern. Fibrillation at relatively low internal currents can be more lethal than complete heart stoppage at higher internal currents. There is some data floating around ( I have some of this somewhere in a back closet) regarding both safe current levels and time to fibrillation for a current at a given level. Due to the lack of voluntary subjects (pigs don't volunteer) there is a certain amount of statistical data. Certain states which have electrocution as a punishment may have data but, on the other hand, overkill is overdoing it is quite certain- even if it is a bit messy.

Don Kelly cross out to reply

Reply to
Don Kelly