Electrolyte Capacitor polarity checking.

Dear everyone,

I would kinldy like to know how do I check for the polarity of this capacitor without pending on its body marking? Tried to reverse both positive and negative of the probes of LSR but shows no sign of reversing. I suspect the body marking is wrong. Thank you in advance.

David.

Reply to
Dandelion

Are you sure that it isn't a non-polarised electrolytic?

What sort of size/value are we talking about?

Typically, you can use a small dc power source and a hefty value series resistor to "charge" the capacitor, then read the stored voltage (as it falls) with a multimeter. The way round that discharges the slowest is the correct polarisation.

Bear in mind that reverse biasing electrolytic capacitors can seriously damage their (and your) health. Most have pressure release caps and weak points in the case. The others just fire the metal case off like a small/medium/large bullet or explode. Hence the need to use a large value resistor to "charge" them through - in case you have them the wrong way around.

Body marking is, IMO, rarely wrong.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

I've never seen a commercial electrolytic that didn't have the polarity marked on it. Why do you think the markings may be wrong? And what is this LSR you talk about?

Reply to
Rusty