Polarity of my motor?

Okay, I have wired up my motor, but there is no signs of which is positive and which is negative. How can I tell. The motor uses a reverse rotation configuration (what ever).. What I would like to know is..... looking at the front of the motor(spindle pointing towards me)... which way should it turn? clockwise or anti. This will then determin which way my prop goes on. Pleas help as my model is very nearly ready. The reason I am asking this is that on some articles I have noticed that you can burn out a motor if running the wrong way. Motor is a Potenski POT 03

the link to my plane is this, Cheers Jonnie

Jonnie Chapman

I doubt ypou will burn that out.

Stick a prop on and check the air goes backwards Thats it soldered up right then. All motors go backwards, a few timed ones just do it rather less efficiently. You won't have a timed motor there.

Then the only other thing is to make sure the prop is right way round, or it will be less efficient. Make sure the concave side of the blade is towards the back of the plane.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

  1. You can't burn most motors out by running them backwards.
  2. The + terminal on many cheap can motors, like the POT 03, is marked with a red dot.
  3. In a typical single-gear-reduction system, you would connect the - (negative/black) wire to the terminal by the dot to make the motor run backwards for a typical tractor prop.
  4. "Normal" propellers rotate counter/anti clockwise when viewed from the front of the plane, facing the rear.
  5. The propeller will blow air in the same direction even if you flip it over. The only way to change which way the prop blows air is to spin it backwards.
  6. Direction of rotation is irrelevant as long as the propeller blows the air in the correct direction.
  7. There is a right way and a wrong way to install a prop. Flipping the prop over won't change the direction it blows air, but it will make it much less efficient.
Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

if you follow that link there is a picture of the motor assembly click on that to get a large image that shows which terminal is + and which is - relative to the circuit board on the back of the motor.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

If it's configured for reverse rotation, it will run more efficiently backwards, that is, the shaft should turn clockwise with it pointing at you. These motors are used either in a direct-drive pusher configuration, like on a Zagi, or with a gearbox. Your motor will still run in the normal direction, but it run better backwards.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee