electromagnetic fields

I am writing a reseach paper about electromagnetic fields. Does anybody have any opinions about how harmful they are to our health, or what the effects are?

Reply to
lanniemarsh

They aren't harmful. The only studies that showed they might be did NOT include measurements of fields. When the field strengths were measured, the correlations disappeared. The studies that did show some effect used "wire codes" to estimate field strength. The trouble was that the person developing the "codes" had no clue about electricity or magnetic fields.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Im not taking any chances, so I look a little funny with a tin foil hat

Regards

Daveb

Reply to
DaveB

bull - people COOK with them, Microwave Ovens.

The paper writer needs to narrow focus, frequency band and power levels, you can cook stuff at 100KHz too.

Reply to
MollyMolly

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure the author is refering to 60Hz fields.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Most likely. A tough one to show anything, as we are all OK(?) and have been living in the fields for 40+ years.

There are some new court cases about Cellphones/Tumors too. Back in the 70's Motorola did a study and found that the peak adsorption by flesh (they used pigs) was at 800 to 900 MHz. It was a broad peak and extended up and down the frequency band some.

I'm more concerned about the residual X-rays emitted by my PC monitor only

18 inches from my head. The lead in the glass cuts the emissions by 70% or so, but still.
Reply to
MollyMolly

in article snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 2/28/05 6:25 AM:

As far as I know, the possible harms are:

  1. Thermal, as from cooking with a microwave oven or infrared radiation from a burning gasoline truck.

  1. Direct connection to an electric field such as a high voltage power line.

  2. Mutations from high energy (short wave) radiation such as x-rays and even ultraviolet light.

  1. A new possibility has recently been touted. Varying strong magnetic fields can induce electric fields. That gets back to item 1.

  2. There are a number of nonlinear process that are not likely to affect ordinary people. Lightning that causes a branch to fall on your head is possible. Focussed laser beams can cause other strange effects at extreme intensity.

In short, except for the possibility of getting shocked or cooked, you have more important things to worry about.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

1) The frequency has lot to do with the human effects. Some frequencies stop at the skin and when high enough power burn it. Others skip off the fat and skin and if high enough power, burn at the muscle-fat interface. Some frequencies (the ones we used) passed right thru soft tissue and if high enough/long enough power burned the bone surface. (At 5MW long duration, we we extremely careful. The Air Force had a safety manual of RF which listed many of those effects. You might try to get an old radar manual safety section. 2) The effect on humans has a lot to do with the human involved. If it dropped Einsteins IQ 20 points, or caused Picasso to paint without the vibrancy and they walked thru the grocery store, most people would not notice much diference in them.(Ok, so maybe Picasso had too much RF and that is why he painted what he did), If RF exposure dropped the average person 20 points, it would be noticable (or maybe not noticeable, for some groups.)

However- the Air Force manual (I was not in the AF, just used the manuals) had the following criterion for personnel in areas of RF. "If you experience a sharp shooting pain near the top of your head, leave the area immediately and go to an area of low RF. " And people experienced it. So it does affect humans - couldn't tell you is it long term, though.

This next and last one is interesting because of how one hunts (and i am not talking about sitting in a blind with a gun waiting for a dumb deer to stumble on a dumb man with gun). Sensing prey and being sensed. It links off one of the more interesting reports on electromagnetic fields and organics. There was a decently large shark that suddenly went nuts in the tank in a Florida aquarium, calmed, and went nuts -back and forth. When they looked for changes, they found a new light circuit conduit ran around the one side of the tank. Lights on, nutty shark. Lights off, calm shark. They measured MICRO watts of electromagnetic field in the water when the lights were on, but none when off. They pulled the circuit, and the shark was calm again. As a result of this, further research in this field has found EF emitting from the sides of most fish, near glands researchers had seen but were unsure of its purpose. Since all muscles rely on electrochemical reactions, it was suspected that many animals give off EF, and some, if not all hunters, generally locate them that way.

In high RF areas, tests for cataracts were done every six months or so.

However, I have been around RF all my life, and it hasn't affected me. I have been around RF all my life, and it hasn't affected me. I have been around RF all my life, and it hasn't affected me. I have been around RF all my life, and it hasn't affected me. ...................................................... uh ............................ what?

Reply to
--

When you repost your question again from scratch, hopefully the question will include information as rigorously accurate as what the paper must conclude. IOW, were you asking about light, infrared, microwave, radio, cosmic, X-ray, or what other electromagnetic fields. How strong? What kind of health threats are you asking about? Long term? Immediate? Etc. Without a technically accurate question, the answers would be typically from those who only wildly speculate.

The quality of your questi> I am writing a reseach paper about electromagnetic fields. Does anybody

Reply to
w_tom

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1109600754.995485.184090 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

How is it that opinions qualify for inclusion to a research paper?

Reply to
me

This is " Newsgroup For Dummies" isn't it ? that's why i come so often ;-)

On the Topic: > Elecromagnetic Fields are So Dangerous, that, Specilized Sheilding has been Designed to Curtail Their Reach, It's Use is Enforced by Regulators & Introduced where any Significant Electromagetic Force would or could be Harmful to Humans.

(*) It behooves you to think, what would happen to the Iron in your blood, and other Elements in your Body if you had a Large EM Field up close to your body 24/7.

I'm no genius };-) but, Theoreticlally it souds like: The particles would migrate to or away from the source of the EMF doing who knows what to you.

nuff said..... If you really want to know more about this you should research Scientific Findings on the subject, not Engineering Groups.

good luck'

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

snap.

I initially assumed that you'd be using a scientific approach of

- designing experiments (or at least data collection methodologies from other sources),

- collecting the data,

- analysing it and

- drawing some inferences from that data (recognising any limitations in the information and analysis, and

- making suitable conclusions about the results and their validity or applicability to the purpose you were presenting them.

Unless the research is psychological and not physical, how do "opinions" have any place in a research paper.

Reply to
Miles

Motorola published a study to the effect that placing the tip of an antenna attached to a 5 watt handheld transmitter one CM form the cornea of the eye might cause damage. oddly enough i never felt the urge to test the study.

hint to OP: look up non-ionizing radiation and OSHA regulations.

Reply to
TimPerry

EM Fields may pass the human body without any hamful effect., they are Murder on Electronic Equipment as when a srong magnetic pulse or EMP Bombards an Area.

In The Military: A High-Altitude Nuclaer Explosion can bring down an EMP over a Country and devastate it's Electronic Instruments & commercial Electronics as well., EMP's can also originate on land from non nuclaer Radio Freqeuncy devices and have the same effect from Space or Land.

Reply to
Nico Electro

in article snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com, TimPerry at snipped-for-privacy@noaspamadelphia.net wrote on 3/3/05 8:49 AM:

How does the term *might* logically differ from the term *might not*?

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

Shoot ! Bill, "Might" sounds like it most likely would, rather than it won't which is covered better with " Might Not " :) or they would both mean the same, Right.

reliability must be taken into account.

I think I'll go back to play with my imaginary friend from outer space now, I'll be wearing my pyramid shaped aluminum foil coverd hat };-)

=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

You must realize that "big M" did not want to scare off customers, however it would not do to publish inaccurate safety data either.

I never hesitated to work on or use HT radios.

Now a study to determine a correlation between the increase of manmade ME fields and the average change in intelligence of politicians might be interesting.

Reply to
TimPerry

};-) The Politics of EMF's in Wired Apparatus is quite the more simple, but as with Politicians, No negotiation is allowed once you Know the Ratings.

I think anyone really interested in E.E. has thrown Caution to the ion Wind even for rated, candidates., ups, I mean, conductors.

I always wanted desintegrators permited., why keep making such a mess };-o and my own permit of course.

=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.