enerator experts?

i have a small petrol generator, 1.3kw continuous, 1.5kw peak. my vacuum cleaner, (1kw continuous 1.2kw max) has stopped working with it after using it for 7 years.

it has 2 windings measure about 3.2ohm.

it was sugested i 'excite' the permanent magnets, so i put my car battery accross the mains output, with motor not turning, this almost fixes it, through it has trouble starting the cleaner, if the cleaner does not start, it needs re-exciting again.

there are no brushes in the generator, there is a 40uf capacitor, which only measures 28uf on my cappy meter.

the generator works ok with 1kw toaster and 1.2kw saw.

could this be the problem?

voltage is a bit low 200v (should be 220/240v)

Roy

Reply to
Royc

The capacitor is definitely a problem if your meter is to be believed.

The other constant you may need to check is rotational speed. Has the engine slowed down for any reason? Is the engine still capable of delivering the power required?

Newsey

Reply to
Newsey Person

check again using a known good meter or Z bridge. (or compare existing meter to known good part)

it seems like the problem is really with the vacuums' motor... perhaps age has caused bearings to go bad or some other factor has increased the starting current needed to begin operation.

i do not recommend operating a generator at or near is maximum rated potential. to me it is like driving a race car with the gas to the floor. sooner or later it will fail. consult owners manual and/or manufacturer for use of equipment.

Reply to
TimPerry