The ABC of a new toy

You might have seen a couple of first war ABC engines on epay last week. I managed to get one & collected it on Tuesday. It is a 500cc Lyons 1kw generator set & the last owner but one was a good deal of the way through the restoration of what must have been a very derelict engine when he shuffled off this mortal coil. The vendor had purchased it from his estate but told me it was more or less as he'd received it.

Carefully boxed & some parts in plastic bags or wrapped in cling film, it is actually most of two engines & one set of barrels & heads have been rebuilt & assembled to a carefully cleaned crankcase & base & the tappets etc have been assembled. There are four pistons & three complete sets of rings . There are various ball races, the old ones & apparently new replacements. Two small covers I cannot yet identify have been recast in aluminium & await machining. It is obvious that all the small parts, nuts bolts & washers have been kept - which makes a nice change!

There are two crankshafts, one having a mainshaft that has been ground & resized with DHC. The dynamo lacks brushes & new brush holders have been fabricated from copper & brass sheet. Where work has been completed it is a high order.

Funnily enough, the rusty fuel & oil tank is the best bit despite it gaping hole in the rusty bottom! I need to get one made for my other engine & now I have a pattern ;o))

Don't expect to see it running anytime soon though ..........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

A very interesting three dimensional jigsaw puzzle, and how nice to take over a 'project' which looks like it might be free from hidden bodges. I wondered what those mysterious brassy bits were.

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

The brassy bits are newly fabricated brush holders!

The tank's just gone off to Frank Gelder to have its Useful Part removed & a new tank fabricated. This is destined for the complete 500 engine starter unit I already have.

I burn to start putting bits in holes, but I have seen enough to know there are still; some issues to resolve - like what are the ali caps for? These will be answered best by looking at the complete unit.

Funny thing, there is a tiny (1/4") correct way round swastika (not Nazi emblem - stamped on the crankcase facing the fan where no one would ever normally see it. Being in war service, it'd need all the luck it could get!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn