New toy gloat!

I had a job that justified buying a sandblasting cabinet! Now, before the damn thing is assembled and set up, we have thought of lots of ways it will be useful. I've had a gun and a bucket of playground sand and we used it outside the back door but with the convenience and cleanliness of the cabinet, more stuff will get blasted. I bought a supply of "Scat Magic" which is rolled automotive glass. It's been so painful to keep my fingerprints off using a wire wheel, this will be better!

NOTICE: Abrasive blasting does NOT replace wire wheels!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

JR North

I built a blasting cabinet 20 years ago and put a small squirrel cage blower on it. The blower was vented outdoors. It was just enough to create a negative pressure when in use. Abrasive fell to the bottom to re-use and the dust went out doors. No mess or dust in the shop. Best of all it cost me about $25 USD.

42
Reply to
42etus

I've been using a similar system for years. The damned vacuum cleaner units that come with cabinets leave a lot to be desired------often leaking fine dust into the shop, and a less than comfortable noise level.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I agree. Wire wheels don't work. Abrasive blasting does! ;-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I have a feeling your baddest arsed wire wheel is not as agressive as abrasive blasting.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Tom

I would advise against calling it a sand blasting cabinet.

Call it an abrasive or media cabinet and fill it with aluminum oxide media or something.

I could tell you what OSHA thought of our cabinet full of sand just in case you wonder why.

Think siliconosis.

Reply to
Machine Shop Guy

I'v seen a wire brush cut a 1/2" plate!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'll hook it into our central blower system and have a blast gate in line so I can choke it or it will suck it empty.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Bite me!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Geeez, looooeeeezzze--------who pissed on your cornflakes, Tom? :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Actually...pretty close.

Ive used Black Max to remove rust, and Ive used Tommy's knotted wire wheels, and at times...the wire wheels are the winners

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

HCl in a tank, with some water to make it higher volume and when steel is nice and gray - the rust floats off if brushed (with rubber gloves) and then slide whatever into a large tank of Baking soda with soda sitting on the bottom - to replace what is used up.

Steel comes out nice gray/steel color. Without baking soda the steel will rust.

This takes off Black Scale from hot rolled and rust.

Martin - been doing it all week.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I've seen abrasive jet systems in action....

Reply to
Wes

What is HCI?

Reply to
Mastic

  1. Please don't top-post, it makes quoting with coherent context difficult.
  2. HCl. Chemical composition of hydrochloric acid. But - it's quite nasty and if your training doesn't include recognizing it by name, it'd probably be best to leave using it to people with years or decades of built-in safety experience with the stuff. It's _very_ nasty.
Dave Hinz

There's much worse. The home version of HCl is "muriatic" acid. The fumes are very irritating if inhaled, but otherwise not so bad. I use it all the time for derusting, get it on my hands, etc. I don't leave it on my hands, but it's not particularly painful.

Biggest precaution is against its fumes - they *will* rust everything. I only use it outside.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Bottom posting is for the mentally handicapped.I "What is HCI?" really does not need any quoting at all.

Just poking a little at those that insist that their way is the only way.

Dan

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Emerson

Reply to
dcaster

It does when I could have pointed out the OP said "HCl" by pointing to their own words.

I'm not insisting anything - I'm pointing out a convention which has been established over decades of usenet, and which works, and why.

See what I mean? WTF is _that_ doing all the way down here?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A word of caution. If you pickle heat treated objects, they should receive a roast afterwards to eliminate hydrogen embrittlement.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos