D C Generator

Hello Peeps,

Yep, advice and encouragement time again please from the all knowing....

I've just purchased a TUSCAN D C Generator details off the plate are. Tuscan Heavy Duty D C Generator. KW 400W Volts 110 Amps 3.6 RPM 2500 Wound COMP BSS Rating C No F141F Made in Gt Britain.

I have rigged it to my Wolseley WDII (Which rotates clockwise) Nothing on the digital volt meter. I removed the inspection cover cleaned the copper strips(Comutator?) with a cloth and meths. and used a thin piece of metal to "carefully" remove any dirt from between the copper strips. Checked contact between carbon brushes and copper strips.

Re-run......zip, nada, nowt Oh bugger! (i noted there wasn't any flashes at the brush/copper contact face)

The last time this unit was used was May. So advice from a-n-other party is to re-excite it. How do I re-excite it? (other than taking it to Blackpool for a ride on the Pepsi Max)

Inside I can see windings (Field?)on the out side of the spinning bit (armature?) rather than magnets. Who said a little knowledge was dangerous?

While the inspection cover was removed I tested for continuity on the copper strips. My little tester buzzes if a circuit. It didn't matter which copper strips were touched BUZZ ie +'ve on left brush Then touch any copper strip=Buzz. Then touch other brush=Buzz Touch case=NO buzz.

+'ve in output socket same result. +'ve on copper strip touch a-n-other copper strip=buzz.+'ve on case and touch inside (copper strips,brushes)NO BUZZ

So at present the Geni is in the airing cupboard (Just in case its condensation) Being a DC Geni does direction of rotation matter? I can not find any arrows.

If reved to slow / fast what would results be (Slow=low volts)(fast=????)

The Wolseley has a pulley 5" diam the Geni 1.3" I work that out to a ratio of 3.85:1 and @700 rpm engine = 2695rpm @ the geni.

Sorry to go on but I've tried to say all I've done and still at a blank.

Anyway have a Happy Christmas and I hope the New Year is a good one. I look forward to seeing you on the rally field and lets hope the summer is another good one.

Thanks in advance, yours Paul Greaves, snipped-for-privacy@ukonline.co.uk

Reply to
P Greaves

OOOh good a proper problem! I shall keep me gob shut and do some learning, as there are better electrical heads than mine here

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

- who wishes you and yours all the very best for the Festive season and a cheerful and prosperous New Year.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

The generator is compound wound judging from the information in your post, which means that the output current has to flow through an extra field coil(s) which is made of heavier wire to carry the current. This compensates for the volt drop in the output through loading, as the current flowing through the compound winding increases the field magnetism automatically and according to the load.

So, if the compound winding is open circuit, or any other connection for that matter, it isn't going to work. The compound winding in particular as all the output has to go through it, so check connections all round, especially bolted connections with loads of wires on. DONT undo everything, just check it's all clean and tight.

Flashing the field can be done quite easily, but the polarity of the main field and the compound field may not be the same, and in any case it is the main field you need to flash.

Get a 12V battery, place wire from the negative terminal to the negative connection on the field, which is usually also connected to a brush, and flick the other end of the 12V battery across the other end of the field, which will have to be disconnected from where it normally lives for this excercise.

Do not hold the connection on for more than half a second or so, watch out for the flash as it breaks the connection and keep your mitts insulated, that arc is a few hundred volts as the field magnetism collapses.

It's unusual for fields to lose their residual magnetism, more likley a dry joint in the connections.

HTH

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Peter, Does rotation direction matter? ISTR that polarity alters with rotation so if the genny is reversed, the residual magnetism works against the voltage generated. Is that right?

John

Reply to
John Manders

Hi Peeps,

Thank you, I'll keep you posted. And now a Merry Chrishmusss Hic ;-)

Paul Greaves

Reply to
P Greaves

Up date on the Tuscan Geni, after several days cuddleing a radiator in the spare bedroom.........I took it outside, pluged in a lamp, hooked up my electric drill to it and .........IT WORKS!!!

So "yes dear, it's got to live at the foot of the bed other wise it could be a waste of money....."

So thankyou to all, it must have been a little damp.

Reply to
P Greaves