expensive electronics equipment

I was just wondering what most companies do if an employee accidentally breaks an expensive piece of electronics equipment.

Thank you.

Reply to
bob

Generally they would voice (at mid management level) their displeasure dependant on if there was carelessness invoved and then arrange for another item to be sourced.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Sheesh go ahead and tell em what you broke.

Let us know how your job search is going.

Good Luck Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

They're gonn'a spank your pee-pee!

Reply to
Long Ranger

Repair it, get it repaired or get a replacement.

Plus, if the accident was actually gross negligence, particularly gross negligence that could have resulted in injury or death, then they may invoke the company disciplinary procedure. Which could result in dismissal.

Plus, if the relevant state and national employment legislation allows for it, they could dismiss the employee on the spot. Or offer to keep him on, if he pays for the damage in installments from his pay.

Plus they may offer counselling in anger management, if the accident featured equipment known to be difficult and an open window..

Reply to
Palindrome

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 08:51:40 +0800, "Rheilly Phoull" Gave us:

They can usually write off the loss as well, and recover some of the lost dollars from reduced tax expenditures.

Reply to
MassiveProng

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 04:54:41 GMT, "Long Ranger" Gave us:

That's "whack", and one must be a bailiff to do so!

Reply to
MassiveProng

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 07:48:41 GMT, Palindrome Gave us:

I was talking on a phone that some dope placed on the top shelf of a work bench (the one in the back of the bench). and I had a soda in my hand. I dropped it, and it did a Mt Vesuvius (Dr. Pepper style)onto a nice new Sun Workstation keyboard.

I know... no greta loss, but I have not spilled a drink, including big open coffee cups on a bench in decades... if ever!

I was more pissed at me that they were..

The Kbd was spill proof... electrically, but we all know what Dr. Pepper turns into when it dries out.

They changed it out, and one day I spent a couple hours popping key caps, and q-tipping keyswitch slides. I got nearly all of it, but a couple of keys are still sluggish. The qtip must have saturated and left some behind.

I still feel bad about it, and will re-do those keys soon.

Even though it is an El Cheapo technology as keyboards go (membrane sw), I am sure that Sun wants six times what it is worth for a new one.

The worst thing is the raz I get from the software engineers about it, especially when I have a soda in hand. :-[

It's funny, but it's not... ya know...

Reply to
MassiveProng

A good friend (not me!) spilled fruit juice on her 1100 GBP 2 years old laptop. (I had bought an identical model). The insurance company replaced it with a new 1300 GBP model. She then broke that one by sitting on it, some 2 years later. They replaced it with a new 1500 GBP model.

So whilst I, who am pretty careful and conscientous about things, am still using my now almost 6 year old Windows 98 machine with its almost zero battery run time, she is running an extremely nice, umpteen times faster thing with 6 hours run time...

They do say that virtue is its own reward - but blondes do get more tangible ones ....

Reply to
Palindrome

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 08:18:45 GMT, Palindrome Gave us:

WOW! That's some service!

What brand? I WANT ONE! Do they have a tablet model?

Hehehe :-]

Reply to
MassiveProng

"MassiveProng" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I think "whacking" is reserved for Leslie Horwinkle.

Reply to
Long Ranger

Reminds me of a field engineer who, whilst working the last week of his notice period, managed to lose 20k's worth of HP protocol analyser. His boss called up his new employer and said if they happened to come across this, it belonged to his former employer. The new employer withdrew their job offer, and the bloke was out of work a week later.

On the whole, breaking an expensive piece of equipment costs companies much less than the strategic mistakes made by managers, which can cost them many man-years of wasted effort. Just look at the costs of developing things like Itanium. I'm sure Intel's shareholders would much rather someone had dropped their laptop ten years ago ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Promote them to management to get them off the shop floor. See

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On 06 Apr 2007 19:13:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) Gave us:

HP still uses them, and still designs server systems around them.

Reply to
MassiveProng

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 17:02:08 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." Gave us:

So if I report to work and knock over a million dollar rack, I'll make VP of production floor safety!

Reply to
MassiveProng

When Itanium dies, HP's enterprise server business is dead; it bet its enterprise server business on the success of Itanium. It lost a load of customers to Sun and IBM in the switch from HP-PA to Itanium, and couldn't afford another processor shift. Consequently, HP is having to pay Intel multi-billion $ figures just to keep Itanium going, with it having failed to become a commodity processor. For the rest of the industry, those who bet their future on Itanium at the end of the last century either no longer exist, or did manage to change direction.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 07 Apr 2007 07:47:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) Gave us:

Your guesswork is well worded, but has zero truth in it.

Reply to
MassiveProng

The first line is a forward looking guess, although it's very difficult to imagine any other outcome when Itanium dies. However, the remainder is describing events that have already happened, so it's rather difficult to claim they're untrue.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Like this one?

(Let it be noted that I resemble that remark!)

Reply to
DaveC