extra trailer lights

I have a 6x10 utility trailer that I would like to add two more side marker lights and 2 more rear marker lights to it so I would have to total of 13 lights on the entire trailer, will this present a problem for my battery? Thanks.

Reply to
For example: John Smith

You might overload the trailer/car trailer socket wiring and/or blow the fuse to the socket.

Add up all the wattages of the lights on the circuit, divide by the battery voltage and that will tell you the current. If that is more than the fuse rating, which is there to protect the wiring, then you have to reduce the total wattage until it isn't.

Let's say each lamp is 5W. Thirteen of them gives 65W. With a 12 volt battery, that is about 5-6A. Which is probably going to be fine, However, if each lamp is 25W, then the total would be 325W, equivalent to 27A. Which is probably going to be too much for the fuse.

In terms of the effect on the battery, lets say it is rated for 50AH and the engine is off. The 5W lamps would need several hours to flatten the battery to the point the vehicle wouldn't start. The 25W lamps would do that in less than an hour. Maybe much less than an hour..

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Punt and add LED lights. very low current draw.

spamTHISbrp